OpenMW 0.47 NPC glitches

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
vividgamers20

OpenMW 0.47 NPC glitches

Post by vividgamers20 »

I've noticed that some NPCs tend to be out of place or even disappear altogether.
For example, Punibi Yahaz tends to fall to the ground below where his caravan is standing upon.
The ra command returns him to his original place, but the problem recurs sometime later.
Also, Danso Indules and Sinnammu Mirpal disappear from their respective places and I can't find them.
Again, the ra command returns them to their original positions.
Could you please look into this?
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW 0.47 NPC glitches

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's not on our end. A lot of the vanilla animations don't stop in quite the same place as they start, so when they're played in a loop, NPCs gradually drift away from their starting location. IIRC, it also happens in vanilla Morrowind, and is resolved by several of the existing bug-fix mods like Patch for Purists.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Just noting the bugfix module of Patch for Purists works flawlessly with OpenMW; as I've had it in my mod order for quite some time, I didn't realize it fixed this issue as well, but I can confirm I don't recall ever seeing the issue with PfP in place. Like the Arthmoor team's unofficial patches for later TES games, it's an absolutely essential "base" game mod for both vanilla MW and OpenMW, IMO.

1) You can get it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45096
2) You can also combine it with the unofficial official plugins patch: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43931
3) Enjoy OpenMW!
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

Actually, I have both PfP and UMOPP installed with OpenMW and I experience this issue. For some reason, I don’t have this problem with vanilla engine with MCP.
I also use Mod Organizer 2 to manage any mods installed.
Any ideas on what may be causing it?
Last edited by vividgamers20 on 17 Nov 2021, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

This is most likely the issue of certain actors like Danso Indules spawning before the large objects they're standing on are loaded, which happens because the object's origin actually belongs to the next cell over - in the unloaded chunk. It's already fixed for 0.48.0.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Oh, right - I know I'd reported issues with objects appearing in one cell but belonging in another re: object paging that were recently fixed, so I guess this was related to the same general issue. Good to know it's fixed anyway!
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

Thank you for the clarification. Hopefully, the next 0.48 release won't have this or similar issues.