walking in place when rotate camera in third person

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
sabinscabin

walking in place when rotate camera in third person

Post by sabinscabin »

I'm playing OpenMW 0.46 on Windows 10. When I press Tab to go into third person, and then move my mouse around to rotate the camera, my character "walks" in place, i.e. takes steps without moving. This doesn't happen in the ordinary GotY morrowind; when rotating the camera in third person my character's feet stay stationary.

Anyone else have this issue?
lysol

Re: walking in place when rotate camera in third person

Post by lysol »

Are you sure you're not confusing Morrowind with Skyrim? Morrowind 3rd person camera always shows you the back of the character no matter what, unless you press and hold the tab key.

If you install a nightly version (see the downloads page), you can activate some functions in the launcher that enables you to have a more skyrim-like 3rd person camera.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

I suppose, OP means that Morrowind does not use turning animations for player character, what is not true.
MattLR

Post by MattLR »

I haven't got an install available right now, but I believe holding tab gets the free look camera.
sabinscabin

Post by sabinscabin »

So here are some more details. I am running openMW 0.46 on windows 10 with tribunal and bloodmoon enabled. I'm talking about the third person mode when I press and then release Tab, _not_ when I hold down Tab.

Here's a video of the footsteps effect in OpenMW. Notice the audible footsteps as I rotate the camera, even though I'm not pressing any of the WASD keys.

In comparison, here's the same thing done in the GoG GOTY version with tribunal and bloodmoon enabled, not OpenMW. Notice how my character's feet do not move, and there are no audible footsteps.
Last edited by sabinscabin on 30 Aug 2021, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Yeah, that's definitely different. I guess next up we need to determine whether there's any good reason to replicate vanilla behaviour here. I wouldn't have thought anyone would prefer the vanilla behaviour until you made this thread.
Chris

Post by Chris »

sabinscabin wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 22:50 In comparison, here's the same thing done in the GoG GOTY version with tribunal and bloodmoon enabled, not OpenMW. Notice how my character's feet do not move, and there are no audible footsteps.
Technically they are moving. Just very slowly and glitchily. Vanilla and OpenMW are playing the same turning animation, but vanilla plays it slower and keeps resetting it, whereas OpenMW plays it more correctly. The animation also contains sound cues to play footsteps, but since vanilla never lets the animation play enough, the sounds never play, whereas OpenMW allows the animation to get to that point and play the foorstep sounds.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I consider this a QoL thing where the default vanilla behaviour is glitchy and not preferred. If it is preferred then there should be mods for it.

I'm sure someone will compile a list and create a mod to make OpenMW more like Vanilla Morrowind, with quirks and all.