morrowind download file problem

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Barticle

Re: morrowind download file problem

Post by Barticle »

I have exactly the same problem. I did not download from Steam, but from other sources. All I get is "file not found." I would like to find some simple, easy and clear instructions on how to download and install this game.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The original post is far too vague to tell us what's happening, so I've no idea how you know you're getting exactly the same problem. What browsing window? Is this our launcher, or Windows Explorer, or what?
Barticle

Post by Barticle »

I have now purchased the program from Gog. When I open the installation wizard it wants an .emi file which does not exist in the download. It's an .exe file. I also tried downloading the data files separately. I tried installing the .exe file using Crossover and Wine. They both return a Runtime Error message. When I tried to run the program anyway, the whole system crashed with an Out of Range error, whatever that means. I had to reboot. I have no idea how to go about installing this program.
lysol

Post by lysol »

I assume you are using linux? The only file you should expect with a GOG-installer is an .exe installer file. There should be no problem with running that file with Wine. Are you familiar with using Wine already or is this the first time?

The installer will install Morrowind in a way that it is runnable in Wine too, but what you really want is to run OpenMW and direct it to the install path of your GOG Morrowind install.

Here's a short video guide I found that someone made, it basically sums the process up in a Manjaro linux setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RRBjv5P6Uo
Barticle

Post by Barticle »

I have used Wine for years. I also use Crossover for some programs that Wine can't handle. I watched the video and understand the process. My problem is that neither Wine nor Crossover will install the program. As noted above, I get a Runtime Error. The installer app can not find any installation. I'm at a loss.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I can't remember if the GOG installer can be extracted with InnoExtract, so that might be something to look into. Otherwise, I'd check that:
  • the EXE you downloaded is intact.
  • Your Wine/Crossover installation is intact.
  • it also doesn't work with older and newer versions of Wine and Crossover.
The installer definitely used to work via Wine, and had done for years, so it's likely either something's broken on your end or a recent update had a regression. As you're hitting problems before you're getting to the point where OpenMW's involved (as you need an existing Morrowind installation with a Morrowind.ini[/i] file and [c]Data Files directory before OpenMW can do anything), it might be a good idea to get in contact with Wine's support, as it's their software's job to enable that EXE to turn itself into a bunch of files.
Barticle

Post by Barticle »

I ran Crossover again. This time it downloaded a bunch of codec files. It appeared to install, except it won't run. I found a Morrowind installation directory (I think) but I can't find any .esm file in it. Therefore the OpenMW doesn't work. I tried running the program from Crossover, but as before the system crashed, screen went blank and it kept saying Out of Range.
Barticle

Post by Barticle »

I finally got it. The secret was that I had to burrow deep into the Wine install to find the .esm file. Now the game is running so far without a problem. Thank you for your patience.
sgtwisky

Post by sgtwisky »

This doesn't really solve the issue, but is a workaround I used when running PopOS and Linux Mint. (didn't need WINE as I happend to have a backup of my Morrowind install for mod testing on a portable hard drive)
if you have a laptop with windows, or can make a windows patrician and boot to it, you could install in windows, and then just copy the files over to a flash drive and then copy those to a directory of your choosing in Linux. OR use a VM to do it.

I know its not ideal, but it would also let you find out if something is wrong with the .exe if it wont install in windows.