What not to alter in an existing save?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
SaiyanBroly

What not to alter in an existing save?

Post by SaiyanBroly »

I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what i can still change to my game once i have my final load order.

From reading around a bit i gathered that removing mods mid-game is anathema (as is the case in all Bethesda games), adding mods with a plugin that results in a change in load order isn't recommended either as is making changes to the position in my load order of esm's and esp's.

But what about making changes to the plugins themselves? Say i found some really nice looking hairstyles and i want to add them to the race im using, in effect adding records to the plugin of that race, is that advised against?

Or how about making some changes to the Advanced Settings in the OpenMW launcher for Morrowind after i already started my play-through? I found two pretty nifty tweaks i'd like to enable (permanent barter disposition changes and factor strength into hand-to-hand combat) but only if i do not endanger the integrity of my existing saves.

Those are the things i could not figure out for myself, thanks in advance in case someone wants to help clarify things.
sanchezman

Re: What not to alter in an existing save?

Post by sanchezman »

You're totally free to modify openmw launcher settings without messing up your save files. Changing mod files across a save is hit-or-miss. I'd recommend just making a backup of your load order whenever you try anything new. Also, be sure to take advantage of OpenMW's separate /Data folder feature so you can roll back a single mod at a time.
SaiyanBroly

Re: What not to alter in an existing save?

Post by SaiyanBroly »

Ah, that's a relief to learn that changing settings in the launcher will have no adverse effects.

And basically, the same modding rules for Bethesda games apply to this game too, duly noted, thanks for letting me know! :D