Framerate Issues

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
hoopsmccann

Framerate Issues

Post by hoopsmccann »

Hello. First time posting here, so my apologies if I'm not going about this correctly.
I installed OpenMW yesterday, set the program for max performance in windows advanced display settings, and it ran just fine.
I was getting steady 144FPS. Played the game a while and was having a good time.
Today I start up the program and I notice I'm getting fluctuating framerate indoors. I go outdoors and the framerate is absolute shit.
I uninstall and reinstall Morrowind and OpenMW. Frames are back to normal until Socucius Ergalla puts down the character scroll.
I've used OpenMW before and never had this issue. Albeit, I just bought a new laptop.

Here's the specs in case it matters:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
GTX 1650
8.00 GB RAM

What really puzzles me is that it was working perfectly yesterday, and I don't know what would have changed since then.
I'm linking screenshots of the performance graph; hopefully that helps.

Thank you!
Attachments
morrowindfps3.jpg
morrowindfps2.jpg
morrowindfps.jpg
AnyOldName3

Re: Framerate Issues

Post by AnyOldName3 »

One of the differences between the two screenshots is you're indoors in the fast one and outdoors in the slow one. Obviously, there's less stuff indoors as it's smaller than outdoors, so that means interiors usually run a lot faster than exteriors.

There are a few things that could be at play here:
  • Morrowind's assets are really bad and require lots of draw calls to draw not much stuff. This wasn't a problem when it was new as people were happy with tiny draw distances and GPUs were slow enough that driver overhead often wasn't worth worrying about. Even though it doesn't look like it, a Morrowind frame often requires more draw calls than a Skyrim one. Mods like Morrowind Optimization Patch replace certain assets with more efficient equivalents, and that can help with framerate a lot.
  • We've had reports of power settings being ignored when the integrated GPU is an AMD one, so it's possible it's being run on that even though you've requested the opposite. We're not completely sure if there's anything we can do about that or if it's solely a problem on the driver end.
  • Some combinations of settings scale worse than people often expect due to the asset issues described in the first bullet point, so it requires very beefy hardware to max out all the settings without issues. Someone might be able to give you some pointers if you share your settings.cfg
sgtwisky

Post by sgtwisky »

In the first image it looks like your physics processing is pretty high. You might try using the "RA" command in the console. It resets actors (NPCs). What has happened to me a couple times is they get themself's in a weird place or on top of an object and it causes tons of collision detection. I only mention this because the physics seems high for Syeda Neen.

That may only be helpful in the first location though. Not sure about the third.

Another thought is any mods that add items to the world, or mods in general. Not sure if you are running any, but you might try disabling groups of them at a time if you are, just to see if it improves anything. I vaguely remember a while back someone had trouble with a mod that killed performance after he loaded a save with it, but not the first time he used it.

That is just stuff off the top of my head that might be helpful.
polynomial

Post by polynomial »

hoopsmccann, it looks like you're running OpenMW using your integrated graphics card. I get the same FPS in Seyda Neen from previous tests on my integrated card.

For some reason, computers with NVIDIA cards will sometimes not run a program using your dedicated GPU by default (the GTX 165). It happened to me and on other games and is unrelated to OpenMW to the best of my knowledge. Go to your NVIDIA control panel -> "Manage 3D Settings" -> select "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor"

If that doesn't work, simply Google: "How to make a game using my NVIDIA Card". I'm quite confident this is what you're experiencing based on those framerates and your hardware.

Good luck!