Every Lock "Too Difficult"

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
WolfHawk

Every Lock "Too Difficult"

Post by WolfHawk »

I am sure this isn't an OpenMW problemm however, I am hoping there is an easy way to fix it in the OMW Construction Set. Apparently the problem is with a mod I am using because the same thing happened in a GotY game. This is one of the reasons I decided to give OMW a try.

So, is there a way in the OpenMW Construction Set to determine which mod is causing the problem and remove, uninstall and/or change the settings?

Thank you!
DestinedToDie

Re: Every Lock "Too Difficult"

Post by DestinedToDie »

Disable half the mods, see if the problem persists. If it persists, the problem is within the list of mods that you haven't disabled. In that case, disable half of those mods and see if the problem persists. Repeat halving your mods like this until you single out the mod responsible. This is usually what I do when I find out ingame that I have a dirty mod but don't know which.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Alternatively... you could try making your own mod and loading it last, so that it overrides your existing mods. I don't know if this is the right GMST but my guess is this is the one...
Attachments
LockPickmult.jpg
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

If you want to find the culprit without disabling a bunch of mods and messing with your load order (if it's really large, for example), making a mod like DestinedToDie said, specifically with the relevant GMST "modified" but set to default anyway (in other words, change it, then manually set it back to its original value, rather than using the revert function) should create a mod whose only contents consist of a record with the default, working value of that GMST. Then, slowly adjust its position in your load order by dragging it around in the OpenMW launcher, starting from near the bottom. Once you reach a point where the game reverts to the buggy behavior, you can then move the new file down one place at a time until the issue goes back to being fixed. The culprit is the file where if you load your new mod immediately below it, the problem goes away, but if you load the new mod immediately above it, it returns.

I've done this a few times to find issues on my install, because it's really too much to ask that I try disabling mods one by one when I have hundreds. It's much faster this way.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Indeed, put your "reset mod" in the middle of list. If the problem persists, then it comes from the second half; if it does not from the first half. Just repeat in the restricted list of suspects until you get the one.

Since you halve the number of possible culprits every time you'll be done in few steps.
WolfHawk

Post by WolfHawk »

I tried creating the mod - I now have a file named: LockReset.omwaddon in Libraries>Documents>MyGames>OpenMW>data.

1. Is this the correct location?
2. Does it need to be an esm or esp file?
3. If so, how do I save it as such in the OpenMW Creation Kit?
4. In the file, the fPickLock function under settings should be set to what?

I set it to -1 as shown in your example but it appeared to have no effect. I tried changing it to 10, 1, -10 etc. but every time the lock was "too complex." This is a 5 lock, my lockpick skill is at 20 and I have both Apprentice and Journeyman lockpicks along with a Dwemer lockpick added by a mod. I have used this particular mod many times without trouble so I don't think it is the problem. After trying the lock in-game, I exit and check the Mod I think I created and the fPickLock field is at -1.

Am I doing this correctly?

Oh, I did try it with most of the mods disabled and the same thing happened.

Thank you for your help.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am leaving the top portion of this post because it does ask some general questions about the OpenMW Creation Kit.

FIGURED IT OUT!

Apparently, the modders resource file "Folio Shelves" caused the problem. I have no idea why:
OpenMW solved.PNG
I did have the esp losded, but perhaps since it is a modders resource the esp created problems.
Last edited by WolfHawk on 18 Jun 2021, 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Interesting. Now that we know which file it was, I'm going to go check what all changes it makes and report back with an edit to this post. Then we can figure out exactly what the problem was. The answer is probably that we directed you to the wrong thing to edit in the mod file, so I'd like to see what the right thing to edit was.

EDIT: Reporting back, and dear god, this file is so far beyond dirty it's insane. It makes an absolutely crazy number of unnecessary edits to things that really shouldn't be messed with unless you're being really deliberate about it. I'm honestly not sure which game setting is the culprit from looking at the file, because it contains all of them. Every single game setting is "touched" by this. No GMST changes -- to anything, regardless of reason -- will carry through from anything loaded above this file, because it messes with every single damned one. I'm not sure which of its changes was causing your issue (though I'm sure if we really dug we could figure it out), but with this loaded, I'm only surprised you weren't noticing a whole lot more problems.