OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
defPeki

OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Post by defPeki »

Everytime I try launching OpenMW I get this line:

Code: Select all

openmw: error while loading shared libraries: libvdpau.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I've gone ahead and did quite a bit of research. It seems that libvdpau.so.1 doesn't work due to my NVIDIA driver, which is version 304.137. Now, I know that's a really old driver for really old GPU's, but all games available on Linux I've tested so far have worked just fine the same way they did on Windows, and apparently, so did OpenMW once I tried sudo apt-get install --reinstall libvdpau1. But of course it didn't take long to crash: it freezes specifically when I exit an interior cell.

[20:24:10.340 W] Warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid enumerant' at Before Renderer::compile
[20:24:23.006 W] RenderStage::runCameraSetUp(), FBO setup failed, FBO status= 0x8cdd
[20:24:23.188 W] ContextData::incrementContextIDUsageCount(0) to 2
[20:24:23.304 W] Warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid value' at after RenderBin::draw(..)
[20:24:23.369 W] Warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid value' at after RenderBin::draw(..)

(Below is when it actually crashes upon exiting an interior cell)

[20:26:54.044 W] Warning: FrameBufferObject: could not create the FBO
[20:26:54.047 W] RenderStage::runCameraSetUp(), FBO setup failed, FBO status= 0x0
[20:26:54.132 W] ContextData::incrementContextIDUsageCount(0) to 2
[20:26:54.196 W] Warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid value' at after RenderBin::draw(..)
[20:26:54.286 W] Warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid value' at after RenderBin::draw(..)
I've also tried the symbolic link /usr/lib$ sudo ln -s vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.304.137 libvdpau.so.1, but to no avail, as it gives me a different error:

openmw: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.56: undefined symbol: vdp_device_create_x11
So right now I'm running out of ideas. OpenMW ran smoothly when I reinstalled libvdpau.so.1, but I definitely can't keep playing if it crashes everytime I get out of a house. This is my output of dpkg --search libvdpau.so.1:

libvdpau1:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvdpau.so.1.0.0
libvdpau1:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvdpau.so.1
libvdpau1:i386: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvdpau.so.1.0.0
libvdpau1:i386: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvdpau.so.1
Would appreciate some help.
akortunov

Re: OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Post by akortunov »

The 0x8cdd stands for GL_FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED_EXT (your GPU for some reason tells that it does not support framebuffer format requested by OpenMW).
defPeki

Post by defPeki »

That's weird. My GPU is a GeForce 7025 / 630a. OpenMW surely supports that, doesn't it? I still remember some pretty great moments I had playing on what I think was OpenMW 0.45. What I assume is happening is that once I reinstall libvdpau, while it fixes OpenMW making use of it, also somehow breaks OpenGL making use of it, thus giving me errors. But if I use the driver's original libvdpau it just doesn't run. I guess I'll just have to wait for a good solution.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Just a guess, can you set the lighting setting to "legacy" and see what happens?

Can you validate which version you ate running? Are you running 0.47 (nightly) or 0.46? Does 0.46 eun for you?
defPeki

Post by defPeki »

I am already using legacy, as it gets quite laggy with the other options. Legacy gives me about 60 FPS (or seems like it, haven't checked, really smooth nonetheless). I've tried using 0.46, but it also didn't launch, which is why I switched to 0.47 just to notice it had the same issue; only then I tried launching through the terminal and noticed the error. I definitely can try reinstalling libvdpau with 0.46, though.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We rely on graphics drivers not being buggy, so if the issue turns out to be because yours are (which is possible - you might just not have run anything that happens to do exactly what we're doing before) and you can fix it with a driver update, it won't be considered something we should fix ourselves.

There are a couple of other things that have changed recently that might conceivably cause this error, though. One example is the new antialias alpha test setting, which requires multisampled FBO formats to be supported if you're using the water shader. We also think we've had a performance improvement expose a bug on MacOS, and it's not inconceivable that the a similar issue affects your machine, too.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Hang on, ContextData::incrementContextIDUsageCount(0) to 2 shouldn't be possible. Something really weird is going on with your machine. Which OpenSceneGraph version are you using?
defPeki

Post by defPeki »

I thought OpenMW already had OpenSceneGraph implemented or something like that? But if you mean on the system as a whole, I didn't have it installed. Now I do:

openscenegraph is already the newest version (3.6.5+dfsg1-2~focal2)
Error still persists with OSG installed. I still think it's driver related. Like I said, the file OpenMW requires (libvdpau.so.1) do exist on my machine, but OpenMW says it doesn't. It only works after a reinstall, which gives me OpenGL warnings and crashes. Then I reinstall the driver and it goes back to the very first error. I do understand you should have no compromise to fix it, but I hope there is at least some kind of workaround for this libvdpau nonsense.
wazabear
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/glassmancody.info

Post by wazabear »

Might as well run with this environment variable and share output, it may be quite long. This isn't to do with the libvdpau.so.1 issue though.

OSG_NOTIFY_LEVEL=INFO openmw
defPeki

Post by defPeki »

Here it is! Sorry for the slight issues, I've never "recorded the terminal" before, since the first test run was too long to copy paste. Actual outputs seem fine though.

https://zerobin.net/?45c1efdbf630bfd5#6 ... r7tUynuvs=

"Skip menu and generate default character" is active. All I did was spawn, go to Arrile's Tradehouse, stare at him for 1-2 seconds and exit. Then the game freezes and I "quit peacefully" (I'm pretty sure the only times it crashed and gave me a log was on the first two times I tried; possibly because I tried waiting for it to unfreeze).