OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Post by psi29a »

OpenMW does not require libvdpau.so.1, that is dependency from your nvidia drivers. So it seems like your Mint installation is a bit screwed up and you're working around that issue.

If you have tried with 0.46 and it doesn't launch, then 0.47 won't either which just reinforces the conclusion that there is something wrong with your distro.

If you can try the work around with 0.46; that would be great. My hunch is that you'll have the same issues but perhaps something else happens? It's the only thing left you haven't tried. The reason this is interesting is because the lighting change and alpha2coverage are not in 0.46 which are two things that require specific OpenGL extensions to exist.

BTW: have you thought about using the nouveau driver?
defPeki

Post by defPeki »

It seems you may be right about both things to be honest: my Mint installation is quite unconventional (as I said, the driver I use, 304.137, isn't even supported anymore) and I haven't tested with OpenMW 0.46. And now that I did, I definitely should thank you for pointing it out!

Code: Select all

openmw: symbol lookup error: openmw: undefined symbol: _ZN5MyGUI6Widget13_getItemIndexEPS0_
I've noticed the Xubuntu thread right here on support points a really similar issue. I thought I had a completely different one but now, looking back at the thread, the last post shows exactly the same error as above. I guess reinstalling libvdpau is a fix for the bug that comes with the driver installation after all, not something that breaks OpenGL, and maybe OpenMW 0.47 somehow "fixes" the symbol lookup error to some extent?

About Nouveau, as I'm pretty new to Linux I'm not sure I would be able to properly remove the blacklist from it without breaking the whole distro, so I'd rather not mess with it. Also might be worth noting that, as my GPU is really old, the performance gain from proprietary drivers is huge and I don't think I would even run OpenMW with it. It's worth a test, though.

As a last addendum, I found this 304.137 appendix talking about VDPAU support. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can make something out of it. Might not be necessary now that libvdpau doesn't seem to be the issue.
http://download.nvidia.com/solaris/304. ... pport.html
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Do you run that version of nvidia because your card is old and not supported by newer versions?

Why not just try Ubuntu? In theory, our PPA should work with Mint (Ubuntu based), but it's not a guarantee.
defPeki

Post by defPeki »

Yeah, GPU won't run with any other driver and Nouveau doesn't give me that much of a performance. I don't think installing Ubuntu will help, my Mint is Ubuntu based and your PPA is fine, I'd say my OpenGL is at fault here. The error I stated on the last post was easily solved by downgrading MyGui, which means it isn't anything serious, just that if you upgrade to 0.47 you can't use 0.46 without downgrading MyGui again.

Not long ago I tried searching some more and found out 304.137's libvdpau is buggy and reinstalling is advised, so I guess that suspicion of mine was wrong; reinstalling libvdpau is not breaking my OpenGL. Still, none of the versions work. Does OpenMW requires a specific version of OpenGL or OSG? That's the only thing I can think of right now. Lutris says my OpenGL version is 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.137, OpenMW gives me OSG version: 3.6.5, SDL version: 2.0.10
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We have a hard requirement on OpenGL 2.1, but it's theoretically possible to get away with OpenGL 1.x if your driver exposes the right extensions. Any OpenGL version up to 3.0 is fully backwards-compatible, 3.1 is effectively backwards compatible, and if you're not on a Mac, 3.2 and above have a backwards compatibility mode (although they work faster if you don't use it). It's fairly normal for us to ask for an OpenGL 2.1 context and get given a 4.6 Compatability context.

As for OpenSceneGraph, we should work fine with 3.4.1, maybe certain 3.5 versions, and recent builds based on the OpenSceneGraph-3.6 branch. The last release was 3.6.5, which has benign regressions that just cause spurious error messages and no real symptoms, but the release before that, 3.6.4, can crash. As well as this, we've got a fork with 3.4 and 3.6 branches with some extra performance improvements (that break other OSG applications) which is what our PPA provides.
defPeki

Post by defPeki »

As OSG is, apparently, already implemented on OpenMW, what should I do to test older/different versions?

Thought it would be also worth noting that, other than the very first OpenGL warning, all others are exclusive to exterior cells; which means I could possibly walk around interior cells all day (good thing I am not desperate to play Morrowind that way yet). So I went to test that theory on Mournhold, Royal Palace, only to be greeted by an infinite, black void. Mournhold by itself is nothing but an interior cell empty room with a door leading to the void. At first I thought my installation of Morrowind was at fault, but now, after reinstalling for what I think was four times, I'm not so sure. My game is only available at the Bethesda.net launcher, which means I have to use Lutris. Is there any history of people having faulty downloads from the launcher + Lutris combination? I tried with and without the helper, issue persists. Bloodmoon seems to load cells just fine.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I think you're misunderstanding what OSG is or what software libraries are or something like that. Unless you're using a distro which statically links OSG into OpenMW (Mint doesn't and neither does our PPA) you'll need shared libraries from a separate OSG package to use the OpenMW package. If you're rebuilding OSG shared libraries based on versions of the source code very similar to each other, they should be drop-in replacements. If you use slightly less similar versions, they'll probably appear to work for a bit and then crash horribly with a symbol lookup error (but for a symbol provided by OSG, which none of the errors you've posted have been). If you try and use a completely different version, then the filename will have changed and you'll get an error about not being able to find the right shared library. Except in the first case, OpenMW needs rebuilding to work with a different OSG build, so as a user of a package, you'd have to downgrade to an older version of OpenMW which used an older OSG package, or switch to a different package source that built it with different dependencies.

This is almost certainly not something you need to be worrying about, though. If you're using OpenMW from our PPA, it should be using OpenSceneGraph from our PPA, too, and they're definitely compatible with each other.
Detritus

Re: OpenMW will not launch on Xubuntu 20.04

Post by Detritus »

Today I installed OpenMW on Kubuntu 20.10 with the same results as others described. I can start the launcher but when I click "play" OpenMW refuses to start.

Code: Select all

$ openmw
openmw: symbol lookup error: openmw: undefined symbol: _ZNK3osg6Camera25computeLocalToWorldMatrixERNS_7MatrixdEPNS_11NodeVisitorE
It was working on a different computer on which I installed it over a year ago (which might have been the 0.45 version?), with Kubuntu 18.04 but today I got the urge to play MW again, this time on my new computer but without luck.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You're probably using OpenMW from our PPA and OpenSceneGraph not from our PPA, or vice versa. The different OSG ones are subtly different packages, so you need to use the one from the same source as the OpenMW package.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

So how do I make sure I uninstall OpenSceneGraph and then reinstall it, without it coming from the same source as before? Is there any way to check if this will stop other software from working before I do this? Thank you.