OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW will not launch on Xubuntu 20.04

Post by psi29a »

Normally... just:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade
You can see what versions you have here:

dpkg -l | grep -i openmw
Should reveal something like this
ii openmw 0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6 amd64 Reimplementation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
ii openmw-data 0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6 all Resources for the OpenMW engine
ii openmw-launcher 0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6 amd64 Launcher for OpenMW using the Qt-Gui-Toolkit

dpkg -l | grep -i libopenscenegraph161
Slarlock

Re: OpenMW will not launch on Xubuntu 20.04

Post by Slarlock »

Detritus wrote: 31 May 2021, 09:46 So how do I make sure I uninstall OpenSceneGraph and then reinstall it, without it coming from the same source as before? Is there any way to check if this will stop other software from working before I do this? Thank you.
For some odd reason I had two libraries of ISG installed, so I deleted both of them.

$ sudo dpkg --purge libopenscenegraph161
(Reading database ... 293982 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libopenscenegraph161:amd64 (3.6.5+dfsg1-2~focal2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-0ubuntu9.2) ...
$  sudo dpkg --purge libopenscenegraph160
(Reading database ... 293852 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libopenscenegraph160:amd64 (3.6.4+dfsg1-3build2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-0ubuntu9.2) ...
Then I followed the instructions on the site..

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openmw/openmw
$ sudo apt-get update
Installed the OpenSceneGraph:

$ sudo apt-get install openscenegraph
Search which versions of OpenMW are on offer:

$ apt-cache madison openmw
    openmw | 0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6 | http://ppa.launchpad.net/openmw/openmw/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
    openmw | 0.45.0-4build1 | http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/multiverse amd64 Packages
Install this stuff

$ apt-get install openmw=0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6
When earlier on in this thread somebody mentioned how the OSG library supplied with this repo should be installed it all suddenly made sense.
Detritus

Re: OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Post by Detritus »

I have been making some checks on my computer and had one other program making use of openscenegraph, scribus. I uninstalled openscenegraph, scribus and openmw and afterwards installed openmw and openscenegraph again. I still have the same issue and can't start openmw. See below output from the terminal where I started openmw-launcher.

daniel@daniel-G5-5590:~$ openmw-launcher
Loading config file: launcher.cfg
Loading config file: /home/daniel/.config/openmw/launcher.cfg
Loading config file: /home/daniel/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: /etc/openmw/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: /usr/games/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: /home/daniel/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg
Loading settings file: /etc/openmw/settings-default.cfg
Loading settings file: /home/daniel/.config/openmw/settings.cfg
Setting a QCompleter on non-editable QComboBox is not allowed.
Setting a QCompleter on non-editable QComboBox is not allowed.
The current profile is:  "2021-05-31T20:13:43"
daniel@daniel-G5-5590:~$ ./openmw: symbol lookup error: ./openmw: undefined symbol: _ZNK3osg6Camera25computeLocalToWorldMatrixERNS_7MatrixdEPNS_11NodeVisitorE
I'm not really sure what the QCompleter and QComboBox are? Is it possible that the Kubuntu (and the KDE and Qt) version I'm using is causing this?

The following version of the libopenscenegraph was installed (or wasn't uninstalled properly):

daniel@daniel-G5-5590:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i libopenscenegraph 
pi  libopenscenegraph161:amd64                    3.6.5+dfsg1-10~groovy1                      amd64        3D scene graph, shared libs
And these are the versions of openmw that were installed:

daniel@daniel-G5-5590:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i openmw
ii  openmw                                        0.46.0-1                                    amd64        Reimplementation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
ii  openmw-data                                   0.46.0-1                                    all          Resources for the OpenMW engine
ii  openmw-launcher                               0.46.0-1                                    amd64        Launcher for OpenMW using the Qt-Gui-Toolkit
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

There are no groovy packages for 0.46 from our PPA.
Have a look here: https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/ ... /+packages

The reason for this is that 0.46 and OSG 3.6.5 already exist on Ubuntu's Groovy release.

If you wish to use version 0.46, then you'll need remove our PPA and downgrade your OSG to the one used by Ubuntu Groovy.

If you wish to check out our daily (based currently on 0.47), then you can use our OSG 3.6.5 variant as well. Found here:
https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/ ... enmw-daily
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I have now tried the version of openmw that exists on Ubunto Groovy with the same result, openmw just doesn't start when clicking the play button. So I tried the daily build. But that doesn't want to install.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 openmw : Depends: librecast1 (>= 1.5.1+git20210215-e75adf8) but it is not installable
          Recommends: openmw-launcher but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Am I doing something wrong, or are the packages I need not (yet) available?

Maybe I should give a bit of background on why I use Kubuntu 20.10. I tried upgrading to 21.04 and even though that worked without problems, another game I play (Cities Skylines) doesn't start in 21.04, and so far I have not found why. Originally this computer was running 20.04, until after an update of the nvidia drivers it broke and for some reason it doesn't see the usb with 20.04 as bootable anymore(while I can boot from the same usb stick with 20.10 or 21.04). I have tried the usb with other distros like Manjaro KDE (latest version) and my computer didn't recognise that stick as bootable either.

To make a long story short, might it be my computer that is the cause and not openmw (from whatever source I try to install it)?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

You have to have both PPAs in order to use the dailies, it says so in the in the PPA readme.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Thank you all for the help. OpenMW is working now on my computer. It seems I didn't rtfm as well as I should have.

I have just one question remaining though. The version number of all the downloads from the daily's says it is 0.46.0, but the version number of OpenMW that is installed now says it is 0.47.0, why is there a difference between the reported version number on the ppa and what gets installed?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's just that we label our 0.47 development builds as 0.47 development builds so we can clearly see when people aren't using the last release when they report bugs, and Debian derivatives call them 0.46 because they're 0.46 with extra stuff and the actual 0.47 release hasn't happened yet.