OpenMW won't launch (Linux Mint 20.1)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW will not launch on Xubuntu 20.04

Post by psi29a »

To be fair, bionic is a bit of a mess... we got really. hit hard with the Qt issue but managed to work around it.

It was my fault while prepping both new OSG and MyGUI packages that would be used with 0.47.

I have fixed the issue for 0.46 on 20.04 (bionic) in ppa:openmw/openmw by removing the mygui 3.4.1 package for now and putting in daily ppa for now.

If you are using a daily, then you'll have to wait until the new builds are built so that it can use the latest OSG and MyGUI. It's a transition thing.

@Qndzia which version of OpenMW are you running and are you getting that from PPA or from downstream Ubuntu itself? Which Ubuntu release are you running?
Qndzia

Post by Qndzia »

@psi29a sorry that so late
So i tried downloading versions from ppa, tried snap versions, mixture of everything aswell, i couldn't install package (directly from github) manually, probably i'm too dumb for it.

Now i have version 0.46.0, Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Every time i refer to `openmw` directly i get

Code: Select all

openmw: symbol lookup error: openmw: undefined symbol: _ZNK3osg6Camera25computeLocalToWorldMatrixERNS_7MatrixdEPNS_11NodeVisitorE
Everything seems working besides the PLAY thing :P
ezze

Post by ezze »

It seems a packaging error for OpenMW version is not aligned with its libraries. Can you recompile? In Ubuntu it should not be a big deal
Qndzia

Post by Qndzia »

I guess i tried everything i could or i should maybe say everything i know about. Can you suggest some steps? I'm not an super experienced Ubuntu user. Or it's just simply the problem which will be solved later on and for now i just have to ommit playing openMW? :)
ezze

Post by ezze »

You may need to install few packages, but the commands are simple:

$ git clone --depth=1 'https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw.git'
$ mkdir openmw/build/
$ cd openmw/build
$ cmake ..
$ make -j 8
(You may want to change the 8 with your number of CPUs)

If compilation succeed you'll find all the executable files in the build directory.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I believe I know what the issue is and it was a long standing issue with 0.46 focal that escaped my attention until now.

Working on it... downstream openscenegraph changes breaks things yet again.

Give me a few hours and PPA should back to normal soon.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

New OpenMW 0.46 is online, please test. :)

It was too much work to get the split package madness working with OSG, so this is the only version of 0.46 on the PPA compiled against OSG 3.6; so... there may be bugs/regressions. There is always the nightly that should work better.
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

I managed to fix the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling OpenMW. Thanks for the fix psi29a.
Qndzia

Post by Qndzia »

Now it works!!! Thx a lot master :D
Slarlock

Post by Slarlock »

psi29a wrote: 07 May 2021, 11:55 New OpenMW 0.46 is online, please test. :)
I have the same issue. I just updated my Ubuntu box and OpenMW was upgraded along with it and now it fails to launch.

This is after removing the three packages, rebooting to make sure and reinstalling the OpenMW package from both the Ubuntu repo and later the PPA. And still its:

$ openmw
openmw: symbol lookup error: openmw: undefined symbol: _ZN5MyGUI6Widget13_getItemIndexEPS0_
Despite:

$ dpkg -l | grep -i openmw
ii  openmw                                     0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6               amd64        Reimplementation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
ii  openmw-data                                0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6               all          Resources for the OpenMW engine
ii  openmw-launcher                            0.46.0-1~openmw1~focal6               amd64        Launcher for OpenMW using the Qt-Gui-Toolkit
I regret updating my old package now. :(