Great House Strongholds - A preview!

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Calibration

Great House Strongholds - A preview!

Post by Calibration »

On a fresh game start if you approach the areas of the Hlaalu or Redoran strongholds you get in the Great House quests you see the structures from afar. At a certain point when you are close enough they disappear and are not seen again. I assume the same is true for the Telvanni one. I am using 0.47 from a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if this has any game consequences other than a ghostly preview of the future!

I have distant terrain = true and viewing distance = 23552.0
akortunov

Re: Great House Strongholds - A preview!

Post by akortunov »

It is expected - they are initially enabled and then become disabled once you get closer because these objects have attached scripts which hide them. A similar issue with Raven Rock and Ghostgate force fields.
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

Ok, thanks.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Would it be possible to fix it with a "content fix mod" a-la Patch for Purists? Or is it not because it requires the script to be executed when the player is too far away?
Chris

Post by Chris »

ezze wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 17:12 Would it be possible to fix it with a "content fix mod" a-la Patch for Purists?
I would imagine so. I forget if Morrowind objects can have an "initially disabled" state, or if they're always initially enabled until a local script disables them, but in the worst case scenario, the objects could be put way under the terrain so they can't be seen even when enabled, then have the local script move them up to where they should be when disabling them.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

From what I can tell, you'd still have an issue from the other end - enabling the stronghold through the usual quest stage will not actually update the visuals until you enter its exterior cell, so it will "pop" into existence when you approach the area.

I still don't know how something huge and obvious like the Ghostfence can be made to update its visuals, without approaching each of the myriad cells manually (and seeing the bizarre sight of a still-active Ghostfence in the meantime)
wazabear
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/glassmancody.info

Post by wazabear »

Is a simple Lua interface with distant objects a feasible idea, allowing disable/enable of statics?

Even with an initial disabled/enabled state it wouldn't solve these issues (just reverse them), as stated just previously.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Ideally, the game data would just have everything's initial state be its initial state instead of toggling it via script and toggling it back again later. In cases where we can't change the data, ideally we'd want object paging compatibility patches. In the case of the base game, while we don't want to deal in content, it wouldn't be the end of the world to endorse a third-party Make Morrowind look good from a long way away ESP that toggled the enabled state of a few things.
Chris

Post by Chris »

wazabear wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 20:45 Is a simple Lua interface with distant objects a feasible idea, allowing disable/enable of statics?
Ideally a script would be able to access and change certain properties of object instances regardless if it's distant or local/loaded. A script could just go

Code: Select all

myobject->disable();
and it would simply disappear regardless of where 'myobject' is. If it's in the distance, the distant statics are updated to exclude it, and if it's local, it's removed from the scene. A script would be able to similarly enable objects or move/rotate them and they would update right away visually, again regardless of where they are.

If there's performance concerns with enabling/disabling/moving objects that are in the distance, that could be documented for modders to mindful of when using the methods.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Chris wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 11:02 A script could just go

Code: Select all

myobject->disable();
An MW script from ESP can do it only if every target object has an unique ID, what is not a thing for strongholds or Ghostgate. So a target plugin also needs to replace every stronghold object to an unique one. Maybe Lua scripting framework will allow to disable/enable all objects with given ID in game world at once, but it is a separate question.