Mods are activated but have no effect?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
miak

Mods are activated but have no effect?

Post by miak »

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if I should submit a bug report. I'm running OpenMW 0.46.0 on Manjaro Linux. The game runs fine (off the GOG data), and I am able to get mods to show up. I have each of them in a separate folder for organization, and each of those folders has been added as a data line in the openmw.cfg file. I'm able to activate all of them just fine in the launcher, but nothing seems to have any effect in-game. I've tried the Vtastek shaders, the accurate attack mod, the enhanced textures mod that uses upscaling, just nothing has any effect. I have confirmed that I'm using the right content list when starting the game. I even can trigger the message when you load a file that the mod list is different from the save, but just nothing seems to work :/
ezze

Re: Mods are activated but have no effect?

Post by ezze »

It seems your game and your launcher are seeing two different things.
What OS are you using? Can you show us your openmw.cfg and settings.cfg?
miak

Post by miak »

I'm on Manjaro 21.0 (Linux 5.9). If there's other relevant OS info I can give, let me know.
Attachments
settings.cfg.txt
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
openmw.cfg.txt
(35.1 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
miak

Post by miak »

How does the game locate these data files? Is there an environment variable I can set? They're all in the default location (~/.config/openmw)
ghales

Post by ghales »

Have you named the file "settings.cfg.txt" or "settings.cfg"? :?
miak

Post by miak »

It's settings.cfg. I just had to add the .txt to a copy to get it to upload.
ezze

Post by ezze »

OpenMW uses the XDG Base Directory variables, so one can change the config location setting up a different XDG_CONFIG_HOME env variable or have the screenshots in another directory setting XDG_DATA_HOME. Read more here.

Your config files seem fine... When you say "no effect" what do you mean exactly?
There is no Solstheim island for one? No Dark Brotherhood attacks?

What is the result of find -type d /home/mia/.openmwmods/MET?
miak

Post by miak »

When you say "no effect" what do you mean exactly?
There is no Solstheim island for one? No Dark Brotherhood attacks?
I haven't checked the island yet (this is actually my first playthrough :) ), but there are dark brotherhood attacks. The expansions do seem to load correctly, then? But I've tried AccurateAttack, the Vtastek shaders, better textures and UV maps etc. but those seem to have no effect.
What is the result of find -type d /home/mia/.openmwmods/MET?
Well, that errors but

Code: Select all

find /home/mia/.openmods/MET -type d
gives:

/home/mia/.openmwmods/MET
/home/mia/.openmwmods/MET/textures
Also, the $XDG_DATA_HOME is set to the default.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

There have been similar problems posted in the past, questioning whether mods are being correctly loaded. eg viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7260 and viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7377

I suggest a quick review of the log file, which on linux should be at ~/.config/openmw/openmw.log

This should confirm where it is finding the config files, which data directories are being added, and which content is being activated.

The other potential problem area is that OpenMW's rather stricter checking may disable certain mods - which should show as errors in the log.

Hope that helps
Loriel
miak

Post by miak »

Should the log file have information about the loaded mods? All that's in there is:

Crash handler installed
OpenMW version 0.46.0
Revision: 0abcb54f51