Trees with Per-pixel lighting

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Notaro

Trees with Per-pixel lighting

Post by Notaro »

Hey, I'm running OpenMW on Windows, with Per-pixel lighting On. Here's how trees look like, some parts of the foliage are too bright, others too dark. Should they look like this? Turning PPL off isn't helping much.

Notaro

Re: Trees with Per-pixel lighting

Post by Notaro »

Here's another example. First pic is Vurt's old screen from his mod Mournhold Trees. Second one is how it looks in OpenMW. Lighting on foliage surfaces looks really different. Is there a way to make it less noticable? I can upload .ini/cfg files if needed. (It looks okayish most of the time, but in dense forests like Lan Orethan in TR it kinda ruins the impression).
Last edited by Notaro on 28 Mar 2021, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Are you using vtastek's shaders or our shaders?
Notaro

Post by Notaro »

Vanilla ones. But I've installed Skies IV and True Light and Darkness. Both these mods require to copy-paste some lighting settings in openmw.cfg. I've tried to completely remove cfg files, but the look of the trees was generally the same. Here's my openmw.cfg and settings.cfg:
https://pastebin.com/aVY2mTGd
https://pastebin.com/PfMv0QvS
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There are a couple of settings in there that I think are either completely made up or haven't done anything for five years. I also see that clamp lighting is turned off, which can make lighting look less like vanilla sometimes.

I think part of the difference in screenshots with Vurt's trees is that he'll have been using MGE or MGE XE's post-processing system when he took them, so the colours will be altered somewhat.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Both screenshots in Mournhold seem to use completely different gamma. Probably tress textures are different as well.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Please bear in mind that until you've convinced the forum software that you're a real human, editing your posts will hide them until a moderator approves the edit.
Notaro

Post by Notaro »

Thanks for your help everyone. Yeah, enabling Clamp lighting instead of PPL makes the difference less noticable, but trees look darker. After all, the assets were made long time ago for old lighting system. Disabling Skies IV and True Light and Darkness had no effect. I'll try to adjust the textures to fit better and will look for replacement for this tree:

EDIT: Looks better with modified textures. Also, maybe foliage surfaces with viewing angle less than, say, 5 degrees shouldn't be visible at all. Hopes up for the new lighting MR.

Notaro

Post by Notaro »

Exporting the same foliage texture in DX1 vs DX5 in Gimp gives different results in OpenMW (since DX5 should have alpha channel?) It's DX5 on screenshots, with some surfaces too bright, and others too dark. DX1 looks better and closer to original, just a bit darker. I was using Vurt's Ascadian Isles and Vurt's Mournhold Trees. Hope it helps.