Single digit frame rates in the east side of Port Telvannis in Tamriel Rebuilt

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
vk1970

Single digit frame rates in the east side of Port Telvannis in Tamriel Rebuilt

Post by vk1970 »

Has anyone else experienced this?
Mantar

Re: Single digit frame rates in the east side of Port Telvannis in Tamriel Rebuilt

Post by Mantar »

Just checked with the debug spawn thing in the launcher, and it looks like a physics thing is happening. I get a good 25-50 fps with my cpu unthrottled, but at least half of that is spent running physics, which is severely cpu bound. I find if I cut my cpu down to 2.1 Ghz (from 3.6) I get like 4 fps, as physics calculations start to overrun and drag everything to a crawl.
Try adding a background physics thread or two if you've got multiple cores sitting around. Otherwise, try setting the environment variable:

Code: Select all

$ OPENMW_PHYSICS_FRAMERATE=30 ./openmw
on the command line and that should make it playable with your cpu. Just be aware that there might be side effects to cutting the physics framerate.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Single digit frame rates in the east side of Port Telvannis in Tamriel Rebuilt

Post by psi29a »

Which version of OpenMW? We've come a long way since 0.46 for example...
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Confirmed that the issue is present in recent nightlies; physics quickly enters a death spiral when the ever-problematic slave cages and their NPCs are visible. Wareya is looking into it.