weird issue with keyboard input - can't move but ESC and F-keys work

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Schmu

weird issue with keyboard input - can't move but ESC and F-keys work

Post by Schmu »

Hello,

as the title suggests I have this weird issue where after I load back into the game I cannot move.
I'm not overencumbered or anything, I can't open my inventory as well.

What I can do is open the console and type normally (WASD is working fine there).

I have some mods installed and when I uninstall them it works again and even reinstalling them afterwards works fine.
The issue seems to happen at random, either after reloading a quicksave or after restarting and loading the game.
Older save files are affected as well.

I tried to pin it down to a mod but I mostly have mesh and texture replacers installed, alongside Tamriel Rebuilt and a HUD mod. Uninstalling them specifically didn't help.

For now I can work around this by reinstalling every mod but I'd still like to find out what causes this very weird problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Loriel

Re: weird issue with keyboard input - can't move but ESC and F-keys work

Post by Loriel »

There is a similar problem reported at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7141

I suspect that if yours is random/intermittent then it's not the same, but might be worth a try.

It's certainly worth examining the log to see what (if any) errors or warnings it reports.

Loriel
Schmu

Post by Schmu »

Hi Loriel,

thanks for the quick answer!

Unfortunately the solution from your linked thread doesn't really apply.

I looked up the log and there are numerous errors, mostly sound files or some armor/weapon textures/meshes that are missing, so I just copy those that seem at least remotely relevant or which I don't know what to make of.
Spoiler: Show

I hope this is of any help. Let me know if you need more!
Oh, I am using OpenMW 0.47.0 by the way.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

From what I can tell, you use MWSE mods, which are not compatible with OpenMW. You will need to disable them anyway.
Also there is a possibility that one of scripts from these MWSE mods disabled player movement (e.g. via "disableplayercontrols" console command), but failed to enable it back (because some scripts requre MWSE functions to compile and work properly). In theory, you can try to enable it back via "enableplayercontrols".
Schmu

Post by Schmu »

Hey akortunov,

thanks for your reply!
That's odd as I only installed mods that I saw being used in a playthrough of OpenMW. I'm gonna take a deeper look into the modpack then.

Nonetheless, the command did it! Thank you for your help! :)
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

The thread at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7141&p=69074 covers a problem which may be similar - it's possible that the MWSE issue is merely a misleading name for a script rather than actually relying on MWSE.

I suggest trying to identify why those scripts are failing to compile. The "SignRotate" one is unlikely to cause the problem, but one of the other three "ao_" ones probably includes the "enableplayercontrols" command, and if you fix the script then the problem goes away, rather than relying on a console command.

Loriel