OpenMW not Loading Texture and Mesh Mods

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Posiris

OpenMW not Loading Texture and Mesh Mods

Post by Posiris »

I wasn't sure if this was supposed to go to Support or to Mod Compatibility, but I see some topics in here that go into issues like this so I figured I'd try here. My issue is that Meshes/Texture mods that don't have an .esm or .esp don't seem to load since one's like Better Heads and Bodies, Signposts Retextured are working. So things like Project Atlas, Graphic Herbalism, Atlas Texture Collection, or possibly they the Morrowind Optimization Vanilla Textures are not loading. I've also tried HD Vanilla Textures as well with no luck. I tell right away since the ground texture and homes don't look any different than vanilla.

Here's neofetch data so you know what I'm using; It's Elementary OS 5.1.7 which is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and I have OpenMW 0.46.0:
Spoiler: Show
Here's my openmw.cfg file, which is located in ~/.config/openmw/. I have only added the the data and content lines; nothing else was changed but I'll list the whole thing anyways:
Here is my settings.cfg file which is located in the same folder as openmw.cfg. I have added the Shaders section in case that was what was causing the issue:
Last, here is the terminal readout after starting openmw, loading a saved game (which is just outside of the Seyda Neen Census Office), and exiting the game. I did notice that there were textures that failed to load, and I think they are from Graphic Herbalism mod but not sure. I know they said to use the nightly build, but I have never been able to follow the instructions and get it to work. When I do "make" it always tells me there is no path specified, or something like that.
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW not Loading Texture and Mesh Mods

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What makes you think these mods aren't loading? There's nothing in what you've posted to suggest that they aren't, and nearly all of the mods you've listed are supposed to look the same as vanilla, they're just supposed to be faster to render.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comm ... le_errors/ reports similar errors, related to the MW Official Bitter Sounds plugin, or more accurately an incomplete updated version of it.

Loriel
DiegoGut

Post by DiegoGut »

The same thing happened to me a long time ago, I did not report it as a bug because I found a similar issue already reported.

If you see the log, even though your last mod is Passive Cliff Racers the game loads the original data directory last. Because of this, the loose meshes and textures in the data directory overwrite your mods.

To fix it, I created a directory called original_content in the mods folder, copied everything in the data directory and pasted it there, then I configured it to load first. After that, I deleted everything in the data directory (after backing it up). In this way, when the game loads the data directory last it doesn't overwrite anything.

I tested this many versions ago but I hope it is still helpful,

Regards
Posiris

Post by Posiris »

Loriel wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 17:23 https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comm ... le_errors/ reports similar errors, related to the MW Official Bitter Sounds plugin, or more accurately an incomplete updated version of it.

Loriel
Thanks for that! I'll give it a shot to see if that fixes the texture errors.
Posiris

Post by Posiris »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 17:13 What makes you think these mods aren't loading? There's nothing in what you've posted to suggest that they aren't, and nearly all of the mods you've listed are supposed to look the same as vanilla, they're just supposed to be faster to render.
Based on the images of the Atlas Texture Collection, it should look much higher res than it currently does. Right now, mine still looks vanilla, save for the better heads and bodies working. I had tried replacing the texture collection with 2K HD Vanilla Textures and still saw no change. I don't want it to be a drastic change since I'm on an older laptop, but I do want the vanilla Textures to be a little better detailed.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

DiegoCat's post isn't accurate. The only data directory your log shows being loaded after Passive Cliff Racers is .local/share/openmw/data, which isn't the base game directory, despite their assertions. In fact, it'll be empty unless you've put something there yourself or made a new omwaddon in the CS, so there'll be nothing there that can overwrite anything.
DiegoGut

Post by DiegoGut »

I tested it using Windows 7, not Linux.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Whether or not you used Windows 7 doesn't change the fact that you said Posiris' log said it was doing things that it blatantly doesn't.
Posiris

Post by Posiris »

I wanted to post an update on things.

I have completely wiped this laptop and installed Ubuntu Mate 20.04 and have reinstalled all my stuff back to it. I had an issue with another app on Elementary and figured I'd see if my problems were fixed with something newer. Unfortunately I'm still having issues with OpenMW not loading meshes or textures.

I was able to successfully build and compile the latest nightly build, but that didn't fix the issue.

I should have mentioned this earlier as I have found some reddit discussions about it; I have Steam's Morrowind GOTY so I don't have a Meshes or Textures folder inside of the Data Files. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I had also added HD Vanilla Textures, the VanillaPlus Textures, and the VanillaPlus Armor Weapons and Clothing Textures. I still don't see a difference in game at all. I had even disabled all esp and esm files save for Bloodmoon and Tribunal to see if maybe one of them was causing an issue, and the textures were still vanilla.

Is there something that I'm missing? Maybe a necessary mod?

Edit: *reinstalled all my stuff, *disabled all esp and esm files