Strange perfomance problem: FPS is much better the first time I run openMW (nightly build)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Strange perfomance problem: FPS is much better the first time I run openMW (nightly build)

Post by psi29a »

Scrawl mentioned this in his commit message:
Use IncrementalCompileOperation to incrementally upload OpenGL objects during the loading screen

For now, not much difference, but should result in a sizable speed up once MyGUI no longer needs the DYNAMIC flag (i.e. the loading screen truly renders in the background).
akortunov

Re: Strange perfomance problem: FPS is much better the first time I run openMW (nightly build)

Post by akortunov »

If I understood correctly, ICO is used for Distant Land for both terrain and object paging (latter was added only in 0.47).

There can be cases when OpenMW feeds data to ICO faster than it can be processed, so there is a slowdown and increased memory usage in such cases. Also already fed data can not be skipped, even if it is outdated (e.g. if player moved to an another cell), it still should be processed.

Also OpenMW has a "target framerate" setting which controls how many time per frame ICO can use. A default value is 60, which means that in-game FPS > 60 is considered to be redundant and part of resources instead can be used by ICO at will, what can cause framerate drops with large FPS.