[Solved] Seams in the terrain

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
vrolok

[Solved] Seams in the terrain

Post by vrolok »

Not sure if it was reported already, but I do notice quite a lot of seams in the terrain. Usually - it's just a few pixels flickering, but it's very noticeable and has an effect similar to glimmer.

It's very common in Tamriel Rebuilt's Mainland, but can also be seen in some parts of Vvardenfell (for example, some parts of Ascadian Isles), though not as noticeable.

I am running the MorroUI version, which according to the log is:
OpenMW version 0.47.0
Revision: 06434e6c7a

AnyOldName3

Re: Seams in the terrain

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We had fixed this. I'm not happy about it being back.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

I encounter this not only with terrain. Could it be a regression, introduced by object paging?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

No, it's been there before paging.
Petethekzin

Post by Petethekzin »

Thanks for all the hard work developing this great software, it's made Morrowind playable.

I also have seams in the landscape.
Running stable .47 or nightly 20/8/8.
This one is on the road to the fort at Balmora. Big enough to get stuck in, unless you jump or walk around.
screenshot003.png
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Your screenshot hasn't embedded, but based on your description it sounds like you've just got a mod conflict rather than the issue we're discussing here. If two mods try and edit the same terrain cell, then only one can win, so where a cell edited by both mods touches a cell only edited by the losing mod, there'll be a disparity as the losing mod was expecting its edit to be applied to the neighbouring cell.
Petethekzin

Post by Petethekzin »

You are right! :D
The bad mod is VvardenfellNews.esp version 0 2002-08-05
I turned all the mods off, then enabled them two or three at a time until I found the glitch. Of course I did it in alphabetic order, and it was nearly at the bottom of the list.
I'm not even sure what this mod does, I can't find the read me for it.
It is not the cause of the "door to hell" in Caldera, so more testing to be done.
Thanks for the help.
Valen

Re: [Solved] Seams in the terrain

Post by Valen »

Sorry to necro this, but I'm having the same issue as OP. What was the fix?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Looks like vrolok edited the OP title to say it was solved without ever mentioning changing anything. I don't think we changed anything in the engine, either.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

IIRC, seams on terrain were caused by using a single precision for geometry position in the "OSG-on-steroids" fork instead of double precision (which OSG uses by default). We fixed it by reverting this change in that fork, so this issue should not present in 0.48 or newer builds.

As about OP, probably he just downloaded a different OpenMW build, which used stock OSG libraries instead of fork.