Weird core usage and very loud pc vent

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Netchythenetch

Weird core usage and very loud pc vent

Post by Netchythenetch »

Hello everyone,
I'm back to bother you once again with an issue with my game. I have noticed that during my playthroughs the pc vent starts spinning very fast and is very loud. These are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
16 GB RAM

I installed the Logitech Gaming Software to have a look at how my hardware is performing. I noticed that Openmw uses only two cores: barely the first and the second core is almost always fully used (90% and up). The vent is really loud and very annoying, and I'm concerned about the status of my processor.

This only happens in exterior cells.

My framerate (capped at 75) is pretty much always over 50 FPS and the only weird thing is the cpu strain. I have a few gameplay mods and a few graphics mods, but nothing that adds new architecture or too much npcs (no rebirth, no mca).
I'm using the latest nigthly, but I had this problem with the 0.45 version too.

My Settings.cfg:
Spoiler: Show
Link for the in-game fps counter: https://ibb.co/6g65ppH

My pc performance when outside: https://ibb.co/4SCxJ8w

I already posted on Reddit but got no response. Let me know if you need more info! Please help me, I love this game and desperately want to play it without issues!
AnyOldName3

Re: Weird core usage and very loud pc vent

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What precisely are you concerned about? Computers have fans so they can cool down when they're working. If it's louder than you're used to, it's probably just that you've not stressed it very much before. You might find that cleaning it makes it quieter, too.
Netchythenetch

Post by Netchythenetch »

Isn't the core usage a bit weird though? Should it be like this?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Depends on your definition of should. It's expected, but we hope to be better able to use cores in the future.
Netchythenetch

Post by Netchythenetch »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:21 What precisely are you concerned about? Computers have fans so they can cool down when they're working
Well, I was worried that the excessive heat/usage could damage the processor. I'm not an expert whatsoever, so thanks for clearing that up.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:21 If it's louder than you're used to, it's probably just that you've not stressed it very much before.
Maybe you're right... I just keep seeing screens and videos of some pretty heavy OpenMW setups with no loss in fluidity while I barely have the "intelligent textures" mod and no distant land. It's just frustrating.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:21 You might find that cleaning it makes it quieter, too.
I will try and clean it. Thanks.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Modern computers aren't really damaged by heat unless you do something particularly stupid like run them with the CPU cooler removed. If something's going to damage them, they'll shut down instead.