spell works in Morrowind, not in OpenMW

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
krogg

spell works in Morrowind, not in OpenMW

Post by krogg »

So I installed OpenMW back in December. Then again about a month or so ago. Couldn't find a link to a daily snapshot so had to git fetch it. Compiled, 64 bit version of the Linux operating system.

For over a decade in original Morrowind, for every character, I have a spell made by a spell-making NPC that restores Strength 1 to 1 points for 38 seconds. It is cheap to buy. It needs only one point to cast and it has a 100% change to cast successfully, even at a low Restoration Magic skill level. This means that the spell is always successfully cast, and that I get one point per second of Strength restoration for 38 seconds. Always.

Not so in OpenMW. I get no error message saying the cast failed, but most of the time (really just about all of the time) nothing happens.

Can anyone please explain? Thank you.

p.s. This is on a character started within OpenMW.
akortunov

Re: spell works in Morrowind, not in OpenMW

Post by akortunov »

Create a bugreport and attach a savegame to reproduce the bug.
krogg

Post by krogg »

It has been a while but this is not a so-called "necro post" for two reasons. One: the problem still manifests. Two: it's on topic.

So now I'm up to version 0.47.0 on Void Linux 64bit. I have discovered an additional depth to the original problem. Recall that in the past, a custom-made spell (made by one of the spell-making NPCs) to recover Strength one point at a time for twenty or so seconds would not recover strength on a diseased player character. The reason for such a seemingly odd combo was to get a spell for cheap (both in terms of the gold needed to have the spell made *and* the magick cost per cast) that would work all of the time, regardless of skill level.

The original reason fro doing this, back in the days of playing real Morrowind, was to recover strength lost from diseases without curing the disease. This beats curing the disease, getting the disease again when you fight the next critter, having to cure the disease again, etc.

So the other day I had a disease from fighting some critter. Since the above custom spell doesn't work in OpenMW, I looked in my inventory and found a restore strength potion that I'd forgotten about. Aha! Drank that right away and ... my strength was not restored.

One more datum: the potion was a standard potion that you'd find in a dungeon or buy from an NPC, not one brewed by my character.

So: no longer is it an iffy point related to a custom spell. This affects many (all?) means of attribute restoration. This is clear non-conformance to the behavior of real Morrowind.

p.s. I double-checked this recently in Morrowind: although it's a bit crashy, Wine can run Morrowind now. And, yes, confirmed: in Morrowind, a potion will restore strength when you catch a strength-reducing disease.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

krogg wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 14:31 So: no longer is it an iffy point related to a custom spell. This affects many (all?) means of attribute restoration. This is clear non-conformance to the behavior of real Morrowind.
OpenMW is designed and strives for correctness of intent, not for conformance of observed behaviour (a bug). It makes sense that if your diseased with "Drain Strength" that a potion shouldn't restore it, you're diseased.

It's labeled as a clear bug here:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Drain_Attribute

It also goes on to say that it was corrected in the MCP and also in OpenMW.