[Solved] Better Performance on Pre-built release than self-built, GLVND Problem (Debian)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
AzimuthFE

[Solved] Better Performance on Pre-built release than self-built, GLVND Problem (Debian)

Post by AzimuthFE »

When I download the binary from the Release section on GitHub I can get 60fps just about anywhere (With the odd spike). However when I build it myself, I can't get 60fps in Balmora/Vivec. I have tried building like:

Code: Select all

cmake .. -DDESIRED_QT_VERSION=5 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
But it doesn't make any difference.

I don't know if it's related, but I also can't build with GLVND. If I build with -DOpenGL_GL_PREFERENCE=GLVND make fails with

/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/mwrender/water.cpp.o: undefined reference to symbol 'glEnable'
/usr/bin/ld: //lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
I have the following libraries installed on my machine:

i A libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx                        - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant)         
i A libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:i386                   - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant)         
i A libglvnd-core-dev                              - Vendor neutral GL dispatch library -- core development fi
i A libglvnd-dev                                   - Vendor neutral GL dispatch library -- development files  
i A libglvnd0                                      - Vendor neutral GL dispatch library                       
i A libglvnd0:i386                                 - Vendor neutral GL dispatch library 
Any ideas?
Last edited by AzimuthFE on 02 May 2020, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Re: Better Performance on Pre-built release than self-built, GLVND Problem (Debian)

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's possible the GLVND issue is because you're using an OSG package not linked with it.
AzimuthFE

Re: Better Performance on Pre-built release than self-built, GLVND Problem (Debian)

Post by AzimuthFE »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 12:18 It's possible the GLVND issue is because you're using an OSG package not linked with it.
Could you elaborate? Do you mean that I'm building openmw with an OSG package or that I'm using an OSG package as part of my system in general? If it's the former how do I link it with GLVND? Sorry I'm still a bit new to this :oops:

Edit: When I do ldd openmw.x86_64 I get:

libosgParticle.so.130 => not found
	libosgUtil.so.130 => not found
	libosgDB.so.130 => not found
	libosgViewer.so.130 => not found
	libosgGA.so.130 => not found
Could this have something to do with it?

Edit 2: I have tried

cmake -E env LDFLAGS="-lGLX" cmake .. -DDESIRED_QT_VERSION=5 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DOpenGL_GL_PREFERENCE=GLVND
but now the error is in libosg.so.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We currently don't build anything using GLVND; so for now, forget about it for now.

openmw.x86_64 sounds like you are using the generic builds... there is an included script that should help with that to set the lib path correctly.

What happens if you just do:

cmake .. -DDESIRED_QT_VERSION=5 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release  
AzimuthFE

Post by AzimuthFE »

It builds fine like that. But I'm still getting worse performance than the generic build. Am I correct in saying that the generic build has no shadows? That would explain the difference in performance. Disabling shadows on the 0.47 build gives me similar performance.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Not sure what you mean, but 0.45 releases have no shadows. Shadows is supposed to 'happen' in 0.46 which is about to drop soon and 0.47 development (master) is all underway.

Might I suggest that you turn off shadows and see what kind of performance you get?
AzimuthFE

Post by AzimuthFE »

If I switch off the shadows on the source build I get the same performance as the generic build. I really think that's why the generic build's performance was so much better than the source build at first. Marking this solved. Thanks, guys.