edit save file

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
sarunea

edit save file

Post by sarunea »

hello everyone,

Sorry if it's a silly question but i am a very new on this.
I'd like to change some skills from main to minor, is there any way to do it?

thanks in advance

MOD: Moved to Support subforum
-Atahualpa-
Atahualpa

Re: edit save file

Post by Atahualpa »

Welcome to the forums, sarunea!

There's no official OpenMW save-game editor, but you could try to use the in-game console instead to modify your character. From this thread:
CloneTwo wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 00:45 [...] you could use the EnableClassMenu or EnableStatReviewMenu commands, but i'm not sure what the effects of using these mid-playthrough but assuming that you haven't gone that far into the game, you should be fairly safe
sarunea

Post by sarunea »

hi there i have done it and it works!
However i lost my spells (had only one so far) but later on in game it could have been annoying.

Thanks!
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Nice to hear. :)

The missing spell must have been one of the starting spells the game grants you for choosing magic schools as major (or minor?) skills. I suspect that you replaced a major magic skill with another skill and, consequently, lost the spell.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Atahualpa wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 10:05 Nice to hear. :)

The missing spell must have been one of the starting spells the game grants you for choosing magic schools as major (or minor?) skills. I suspect that you replaced a major magic skill with another skill and, consequently, lost the spell.
Any spells that you bought/made get removed when you do this. It also sets all your skills and attributes to starting levels, regardless of whether any of them would change otherwise. And you become level 1 again, as well. It also unequips all your items, or at least you do if you use anything that invokes the race menu. OpenMW basically treats the use of any of the character creation menus (Possible exception for name) as you creating an entirely new character over the old one. This is perhaps one of the largest and most annoying departures from vanilla implementation left in the game at the moment. Used ShowRaceMenu to change your hairstyle without ever touching the race or gender change buttons? Okay, you're now level 1, with none of your spells or experience. In vanilla, your skills wouldn't be reset unless you actually changed race, and your spell menu would never be wiped at all.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks for elaborating on that, Jemolk. A quick search on GitLab quarried the corresponding issues #4960 and - curiously related - #2913.