Can't seem to install "Morrowind Enhanced Textures" mod with OpenMW (+ Steam edition + Tamriel Rebuilt)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
gmoose

Can't seem to install "Morrowind Enhanced Textures" mod with OpenMW (+ Steam edition + Tamriel Rebuilt)

Post by gmoose »

Hey folks, can't quite figure this out. I installed OpenMW and Tamriel Rebuilt successfully. But I can't seem to add the textures from Enhanced Textures, as easy as it should be. I downloaded from Nexusmods and extracted the "textures" folder to to the parent folder "Better Textures" located in

Code: Select all

"C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Better Textures\"
and then in my openmw.cfg I added

data="C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Better Textures\Data Files\Better Textures"
"textures" is direct child of "Better Textures", and inside "textures" directly resides all of the texture-y things you'd expect.

I also tried adding it as

data="C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Better Textures\textures\"

which didn't work. The overall order of my data= entries are

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files"
 data="C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Tamriel_Data (HD)-7.1\Data Files"
 data="C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\TamrielRebuilt_20-02\Data Files"
 data="C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Better Textures\"

My fallbacks are as follows:

fallback-archive=Morrowind.bsa
fallback-archive=Tribunal.bsa
fallback-archive=Bloodmoon.bsa
fallback-archive=TR_Data.bsa
fallback-archive=PT_Data.bsa
My Steam edition of Morrowind does not have a textures folder in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files
I note that there's allegedly some problem with Steam's .BSA dates. However, I actually ran Morrowind Code Patch for this issue, as they automatically change Steam's .BSA dates. I toggled off all of the patch fixes, so that the only thing it did was change the .BSA's, which it claimed it did successfully. (Everything is still working as intended after this Code Patch hot fix, including previous mods and so on.) I also double-checked using a specific program for editing attributes of files.

Not sure what else to try, as I seem to have exhausted every possibility I read online!
LoneWolf

Re: Can't seem to install "Morrowind Enhanced Textures" mod with OpenMW (+ Steam edition + Tamriel Rebuilt)

Post by LoneWolf »

I remember the old wiki having a section on folder structure for mods, but I can't find it in new wiki.

I looked at my own mod folder and noticed I have Textures folder directly beneath the folder with the modname.

data="C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Better Textures\"
keep this dataline .

copy the Textures folder into C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Better Textures\

This will place the textures in C:\Users\Me\Documents\My Games\Mods_OpenMW\Better Textures\Textures and should allow openmw to find them.

(I run linux and am used to folder & file names being case-sensitive, on windows you can ignore the capitals)
Cornysam

Re: Can't seem to install "Morrowind Enhanced Textures" mod with OpenMW (+ Steam edition + Tamriel Rebuilt)

Post by Cornysam »

I am having the same issue. Using Steam edition and Tamriel Rebuilt on OpenMW 0.46.0 and installing mods manually. Tamriel Rebuilt loaded fine and shows up in the Data Files of the OpenMW launcher and I can see them loading when i run OpenMW. But i do not see Morrowind Enhanced Textures or MET, in the Data Files list in the launcher. I followed the same steps as installing Tamriel Rebuilt but seeing no success. I have tried running the game just to see if it works without showing in the launcher and it has no affect.

Here are the datalines of interest in the openmw.cfg file:

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files"
data="C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.46.0\Data Files\Tamriel Rebuilt"
data="C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.46.0\Data Files\Better Textures"
From what i have read the fallbacks at the beginning of the file stay the same. I have tried adding a \ after Better Textures in the data line and still nothing.

Any help is appreciated.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The data files tab confusingly shows content files, not data files, as it's inherited the name the original Morrowind launcher used for its equivalent window. MET doesn't provide content files, so won't show up in that list even when it's working.
Cornysam

Post by Cornysam »

Okay, good to know, thank you. It appears that there isnt a significant difference or none at all (i will check tonight by commenting it out and back in again).

I saw another forum post about improving the visuals of other objects so i may check those out if MET alone doesnt get me to the quality i am looking for.