OpenMW Arch Linux ARM Build

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
icecream95

Re: OpenMW Arch Linux ARM Build

Post by icecream95 »

Time4Tea wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 14:06 I also had to use that texture decompression option, so my random character wasn't walking through a pink candyfloss land.
Fun fact: there is hardware support for S3TC textures, but the boot ROM disables it because "licensing".
However, I am seeing some issues with some of the textures not having proper transparency.
I have submitted a patch to Mesa for this that will hopefully be merged soon:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes ... 5001.patch
The sky [looks] quite red (I will try to post a screenshot).
This has now been fixed, so if you compile the latest git version of Mesa everything will look normal.
On the profiler, the FPS seemed quite low (even with minimal settings), around 10-15, although the game seems smoother than I would expect with that. So, perhaps the profiler isn't reporting an accurate number? There is also no bar for 'gpu' and quite a big gap between the 'cull' and 'draw' bars, so I'm not 100% sure if the GPU is actually being used.
You can try decreasing the rate of physics updates, for example by setting OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS=15.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

icecream95 wrote: 12 May 2020, 03:56 This has now been fixed, so if you compile the latest git version of Mesa everything will look normal.
Is there a reference to issue description and patch? Do you refer this one? Can it be useful for Android as well?
icecream95

Post by icecream95 »

akortunov wrote: 12 May 2020, 15:20
icecream95 wrote: 12 May 2020, 03:56 This has now been fixed, so if you compile the latest git version of Mesa everything will look normal.
Is there a reference to issue description and patch? Do you refer this one? Can it be useful for Android as well?
gl4es currently doesn't support shadows at all, so it wouldn't help.

It makes no sense for disableShadowsForStateSet to do anything at all when shadows are disabled, so it should just return when !mEnableShadows.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

icecream95 wrote: 12 May 2020, 03:56
Time4Tea wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 14:06 I also had to use that texture decompression option, so my random character wasn't walking through a pink candyfloss land.
Fun fact: there is hardware support for S3TC textures, but the boot ROM disables it because "licensing".
Ok, I see. So, that texture decompression option will need to be used for OpenMW on Mali going forward?
icecream95 wrote:
Time4Tea wrote: However, I am seeing some issues with some of the textures not having proper transparency.

Awesome, thanks!
icecream95 wrote:
Time4Tea wrote: The sky [looks] quite red (I will try to post a screenshot).
This has now been fixed, so if you compile the latest git version of Mesa everything will look normal.
Ok, cool. I will try with a newer version of Mesa, when I get a chance.
icecream95 wrote:
Time4Tea wrote: On the profiler, the FPS seemed quite low (even with minimal settings), around 10-15, although the game seems smoother than I would expect with that. So, perhaps the profiler isn't reporting an accurate number? There is also no bar for 'gpu' and quite a big gap between the 'cull' and 'draw' bars, so I'm not 100% sure if the GPU is actually being used.
You can try decreasing the rate of physics updates, for example by setting OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS=15.
Ok, I will try that as well. I didn't know a separate fps could be set for physics ... :)
icecream95

Post by icecream95 »

Time4Tea wrote: 17 May 2020, 22:36
icecream95 wrote: 12 May 2020, 03:56
Ok, I see. So, that texture decompression option will need to be used for OpenMW on Mali going forward?
Yes. It would be possible to do decompression in Mesa, but there wouldn't be any real benefit.
icecream95 wrote:
Time4Tea wrote: However, I am seeing some issues with some of the textures not having proper transparency.

Awesome, thanks!
It has now been merged, so if you compile the 'master' branch of Mesa everything should work fine.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

icecream95 wrote: 13 May 2020, 00:05 It makes no sense for disableShadowsForStateSet to do anything at all when shadows are disabled, so it should just return when !mEnableShadows.
From what I can tell, disableShadowsForStateSet() is supposed to make affected object (e.g. minimap, sky, water reflection and refraction textures) to do not receive shadows.
And since by AnyOldName3's design shadows are supposed to be tweakable at runtime via in-game menu, it actually makes sense to run that function even with disabled shadows to do not recreate the whole scene from scratch when player enables/disables shadows.

BTW, my pull request with such change was declined with the same explanation.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

icecream95 wrote: It has now been merged, so if you compile the 'master' branch of Mesa everything should work fine.
Hey, I know it's been a while since I posted in this thread, but I have now updated mesa to my repo version 20.1.4. The transparent textures now look good; however, the sky is still red and the rain seems to be as well. I seem to be able to get an FPS of 25-30 if I bring in the view distance.

I am also still seeing problems with the .bik videos.

This is with openmw 0.47.0
wooty

Post by wooty »

OP here, I see this thread has been active since my absence. I took another whack at it today compiling OpenMW 0.47 as well, however with the information provided here I was able to get un-textured models and the engine up and running. Still haven't made it as far as Time4Tea as he got textures loading in somewhat. I now have a RockPro64 I will use for testing and will also see about updating Mali drivers on Asus C201p as well.

Thanks for everyone active in getting this working on alternative ARM Soc's, it means a lot to people like me moving away from x86 and wanting to take our favorite games with us. Cheers.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

MacOS M1 native builds....
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As I said on Discord, I think that's just a case of recompiling our dependencies and setting a flag in CMake and MacOS builds will magically support both architectures.