Can't install Morrowind on my Mac from Steam

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Rochet

Can't install Morrowind on my Mac from Steam

Post by Rochet »

Hi everyone,
as the title says, I've just purchased a Windows version (the only existing one) of Morrowind from Steam. I'm on a Mac with OSX Catalina 10.15.1.

I've been following the steps as explained here -> https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master ... -morrowind

The thing is, I created the "appmanifest_22320.acf" and added the commands with TextEdit and placed the file into the "steamapps" folder, but there is no way I can download game files from Steam. The "Install" button on the game's page is grey and not clickable. I therefore cannot continue with the following steps.

What I am doing wrong? Pls help :(
AnyOldName3

Re: Can't install Morrowind on my Mac from Steam

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Have you definitely checked the two things it says to check (the mode being plain text so it doesn't mess with the quote characters and the file extension being right)? They're the two most likely culprits if you haven't. Otherwise, have you tried restarting Steam? It might be that it only looks for the file at startup.
spookybelle

Post by spookybelle »

You're lucky to get that far. I'm having exactly the same issue on Catalina 10.15.4, but I can't even find the "steamapps" folder. In fact, there is no Steam folder at all in Application Support, despite the fact that Steam is installed and running. No idea where else to look.

I managed to download the "morrowind.ini" file from the Steam Cloud (as per the instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/428491/how-to ... eam-cloud/), but I'm not even sure that's the file I'm supposed to have.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You need the ini plus everything in the Data files directory.
spookybelle

Post by spookybelle »

The .ini file is the only thing (other than old save files) available via the Steam Cloud. The text file is definitely plain text and file extension is correct and restarting Steam makes no difference — it just won't allow you to download the PC game if it detects you're using a Mac (and I gather Wine doesn't work on Catalina?). Unless there's a way prevent Steam from automatically detecting the operating system, the only other thing I can think to do is to contact their support to try to get the files, but at this moment in time that may be easier said than done.