Resolution resets - can't run native [solved]

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
kvakka

Resolution resets - can't run native [solved]

Post by kvakka »

The native resolution of my display is 1920x1080 and I'm running on Windows 10. I can run the original engine in this resolution (after setting resolution using regedit). However, when running OpenMW, the resolution falls to 1280x720 when in full screen mode. I can set it to 1080p in the OpenMW launcher or in the settings.cfg. When I hit "play", the launcher closes, my desktop momentarily sets itself to a lower resolution, and the game opens in that lower resolution. When I go to settings in game, it indeed says 1280x720. I can then change the resolution in game setting. The screen flashes and the settings say that I'm now in 1920x1080, but when I look around the game world, I see that these are clearly lies - the resolution is as low as it was. Next time I open the launcher or look at settings.cfg, the resolution is set to 1280x720.

The openmw.log file in my Documents/My Games/OpenMW directory honestly states that it is saving my low resolution just before exiting the same (I've checked: the messages appear only when exiting, not before). Looks like this:
... ommitted for brevity ...
Changed setting: [Video] resolution x = 1280
Changed setting: [Video] resolution y = 720
Updating settings file: "C:\...\My Games\OpenMW/settings.cfg"
Quitting peacefully.
Please help! Where should I look for a settings file that's causing this?

P.S. I had this issue with the default engine. Reinstalled the game through Steam - didn't help. Finally ran "Verify integrity of game files." Steam said that it will replace two files (don't know which) and that fixed it. Is there an OpenMW equivalent?
AnyOldName3

Re: Resolution resets - can't run native

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We've had weird issues like this, and we're pretty sure it's SDL's fault. Maybe try a nightly - we recently bumped the SDL version and hopefully, the issue's been resolved at their end.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I don't believe that nightlies have been bumped, ace needs to bump his SDL2 version for the windows nightlies.

Ubuntu/Debian have been using SDL 2.10 for the last few releases.
kvakka

Post by kvakka »

Thank you both. I tried the nightly (from March 17) anyway - same result.
kvakka

Post by kvakka »

By the way, I can play in windowed mode. It opens with the task bar visible at the bottom (as others have reported elsewhere), but switching to 1920 x 1080 in game settings usually sets it straight. Sometimes I have to relaunch the game a couple of times.
Night0wl

Post by Night0wl »

I was having the same issue on macOS with both the stable build (OpenMW-0.45.0.dmg) and today's nightly (OpenMW-28032020-d6d8ed2.dmg) -- it was reverting to 1680 x 1050 from the native 2880 x 1880 (which I had entered in settings.cfg).

For anyone else with this issue, I fixed it by loading the game with fullscreen = true, setting the resolution in the game itself, then exiting. It preserved the resolution from then on. Afterwards, I added a scaling factor of 1.5 in settings.cfg under [GUI], which also worked fine.

So it seems to be finicky as to whether you adjust the resolution in the game vs. the config file. I'm not sure if this is something I did wrong or a bug.
kvakka

Post by kvakka »

I tried again with the most recent Windows nightly (2020-03-25) - same process as Night0wl suggested - and got the same result as before.
kvakka

Post by kvakka »

I think my problem and a fix. I only tried this on the most recent 0.46.0 version, so I don't know if it's the same in the previous releases.

I use my TV as a second monitor. Both the primary display and the TV have a native resolution at 1080p and I typically "mirror" the displays. If I set the "Multiple Displays" to "Show only on 1" (that's my primary display), I can play in full screen mode and 1080p resolution. Slightly annoying to have to switch back and forth, but not a big deal.

Hope this helps somebody else. Cheers!
melnik151

Post by melnik151 »

Same problem here with my TV. I managed to make 1920x1080 fullscreen, but in pair with my usual monitor and mouse cursor bugged.

Is there any solution of this?
melnik151

Post by melnik151 »

I've found the solution, it was so easy.

Just go to windows display settings and change the scale to the 100%. Mine TV was at 150%, that's why openmw tried to show windowed 1920x1080 like 1.5 times more than screen and making it fullscreen waas 1.5 less resolusion.

I hope this will help, cheers!
Last edited by melnik151 on 02 Jul 2021, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.