Issues with screen tearing

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Time4Tea

Issues with screen tearing

Post by Time4Tea »

I seem to be experiencing quite a bit of screen tearing when panning the camera, especially in exterior locations. Does anyone else get this?

It seems to happen even with vsync enabled. I am guessing it is because in external areas, my fps is typically between about 20 and 40, i.e. lower than the screen refresh rate (60 Hz)? In interior areas, the vsync seems to be doing a good job of limiting the fps to 60, which is keeping the tearing more under control. Is there anything else I can do to reduce tearing in exterior areas?
Last edited by Time4Tea on 27 Feb 2020, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Time4Tea

Re: Issues with screen tearing

Post by Time4Tea »

So, in relation to this, is it true that the vsync option only helps if the frame rate is >60? (because that is the impression I get based on what I am experiencing)
Lexil

Post by Lexil »

I don't know why, but I experience screen tearing in a lot of games, even with v-sync enabled. Using the borderless window mode fixes this problem.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

Lexil wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 10:15 I don't know why, but I experience screen tearing in a lot of games, even with v-sync enabled. Using the borderless window mode fixes this problem.
Hmm, this is interesting. After reading your comment I played around a bit more with different video settings and it seems the tearing is noticeably worse in fullscreen mode than windowed. In fact, the main factor that seems to affect it is whether the game is running in a window or fullscreen. Vsync or window border don't seem to affect it very much for me.

I guess for now I'll try playing in a big window, rather than fullscreen. Is this something that might be worth bringing up with the OSG people (assuming this behavior is part of OSG)?
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

Lexil wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 10:15 I don't know why, but I experience screen tearing in a lot of games, even with v-sync enabled. Using the borderless window mode fixes this problem.
What sort of system are you running?

I was using Windows 8 on a desktop PC with an i5-3330 and NVidia GeForce GTX 1050. I just tried running OpenMW on Linux yesterday. At first, I was seeing probably more tearing than on Windows, in both full screen and windowed. However, I searched around and found this very helpful answer on Stack Exchange. I enabled 'Force Composition Pipeline' in the Nvidia settings and it has practically eliminated the tearing. I'd say the performance in Linux now is comparable to what I was seeing in Windows.

I guess what this shows is that the tearing issues I was seeing seem to be more to do with graphics driver settings/the particular window manager/compositor stack than anything to do with settings or design of OpenMW/OSG.
Xenuria

Post by Xenuria »

Screen tearing has always been an issue for morrowind and openMW, it's more noticeable in 4k windowed or otherwise. Doesn't seem to have a fix, V-synch doesn't do anything.
bettycooper

Post by bettycooper »

Time4Tea wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 23:53 I seem to be experiencing quite a bit of screen tearing when panning the camera, especially in exterior locations. Does anyone else get this?

It seems to happen even with vsync enabled. I am guessing it is because in external areas, my fps is typically between about 20 and 40,mapquest driving directionsi.e. lower than the screen refresh rate (60 Hz)? In interior areas, the vsync seems to be doing a good job of limiting the fps to 60, which is keeping the tearing more under control. Is there anything else I can do to reduce tearing in exterior areas?
When panning the camera, I've noticed that the screen tearing seems to be more prevalent in exterior locations. For example, when panning around a building or outside on a sunny day, I've often noticed that the screen tearing is more pronounced and appears to be more severe. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if it's something that's specifically happening with my device, but it's something that I've noticed and I would love to know more about.