Problem with registering BSA

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
HaseOster

Problem with registering BSA

Post by HaseOster »

Hello! I've found a peculiar problem with installing Tamriel Rebuilt on OpenMW.

I recently bought Morrowind on Steam and decided to install OpenMW 0.45.0 and Tamriel Rebuilt (I use Windows 10). OpenMW was installed in a separate folder in my "Program Files" folder. I did everything according to the instructions, but after finishing all the installations, including adding of all the "data="..." and "fallback-archive=" lines in my openmw.cfg file (not the one in the root directory), the OpenMW kept crushing with missing PT_Data.bsa archive error. After some poking around I had decided to add "Archive 2=PT_Data.bsa Archive 3=TR_Data.bsa" lines into my Morrowind.ini file. After that the problem seemd to be solved. That time I installed TR directly into Morrowind folder. Today I uninstalled both Morrowind and TR and reinstalled them, this time placing my TR into my C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Tamriel Rebuilt folder. I followed the instructions of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVDc1PLC4c . The problem occured again, and I solved it the same way as the first time.
Am I missing something and this is how the installation supposed to work? Because all the instructions seem to imply that with editing openmw.cfg there is no need in editing Morrowind.ini file.

Also, a small question: if I install TR and Morrowind Rebirth as shown in the video above, will I be able to play two different "campaigns", using TR in one and MR in another (by turning different data files on and running different saves)? Would it somehow affect the game itself? Would the mods interfere with each other?
AnyOldName3

Re: Problem with registering BSA

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you edit Morrowind.ini, the only way it can affect OpenMW is if you run the settings importer to transfer its contents to openmw.cfg. If you didn't do that, or anything else that could change things, and it made a difference, you were using the original engine, not OpenMW.

If OpenMW was giving an error about PT_Data.bsa being missing, then that means you edited the fallback-archive= line correctly, as otherwise it wouldn't have known it needed it. It also means that you didn't have that file in any of the data directories you'd listed, which would explain it starting to work if you then installed it again into the original Morrowind location.

C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Tamriel Rebuilt is a bad place to put mods. For a start, it's under UAC, so it's going to be a pain to actually put mods there. Also, it means the mods will probably get deleted if you uninstall OpenMW 0.45 and install 0.46. Finally, C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\ is already a data directory, and putting another data directory in it is just asking to confuse yourself and potentially trigger weird bugs.
HaseOster

Re: Problem with registering BSA

Post by HaseOster »

If you edit Morrowind.ini, the only way it can affect OpenMW is if you run the settings importer to transfer its contents to openmw.cfg. If you didn't do that, or anything else that could change things, and it made a difference, you were using the original engine, not OpenMW.
I, indeed, used the settings importer at some point, but I can't recall if I used it both times. I am, however, completely sure that I ran the game only with OpenMW (I used OpenMW to launch it all the times).
It also means that you didn't have that file in any of the data directories you'd listed, which would explain it starting to work if you then installed it again into the original Morrowind location.
Okay, so, the first time I installed TR, I had put it into the original Morrowind location, so all the .bsa files were in ...\Morrowind\Data Files. Only this directory was listed in openmw.cfg under

Code: Select all

data="..."
(like, by default). And I had been getting the error message until I edited the Morrowind.ini file.
The second time (when I reinstalled both Morrowind and TR) I had put TR into another folder, as I wrote in my first message. I added this new location into my openmw.cfg file and made all the according actions, but I got the same error message. So I've had to edit the Morrowind.ini as with the first installation.

Now, I made a test. First of all (and not really related) I moved my TR from OpenMW 0.45.0 folder to a separate folder on C:\ and changed my openmw.cfg accordingly. Thank you for this advice! Then I removed the

Archive 2=PT_Data.bsa
and

Archive 3=TR_Data.bsa
from the Morrowind.ini. Then I started the game by OpenMW, and everything seems to work.

And here are all my actions step by step:
Spoiler: Show