[Solved] I need help getting game files on Mac

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Musa

[Solved] I need help getting game files on Mac

Post by Musa »

For years I have been trying to play Morrowind with no luck. Recently I tried again.

I tried to play on Wine, discovered it doesnt work on macOS catalina 10.15

I have spent maybe up to 10 hours trying to play through openMW, reading through these forums and looking for videos on youtube etc. to help me. I think all i need to play is the game files. My friend said he would send me them somehow but unfortunately his laptop broke down. Then I bought the game on Steam after downloading that and have no idea how to install it. I've read about steam command, looked at these apps on my macbook like Terminal and TextEdit. I've played around with that piece of code:

"AppState"
{
"AppID" "22320"
"Universe" "1"
"StateFlags" "1026"
"installdir" "The Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind"
}

I still have no clue what to do. Everyone on this forum seems to know what they're talking about, so it's really confusing to follow along. I know nothing about coding, don't know the slightest thing about downloading games and havent done anything like this before, I just get games on my PS4. I'm just doing all this for one reason: i really want this game. Please help me with simplistic explanations if you can. Like, explain things such as how I actually run the code.I could even add you on instagram if its easier to talk there than on a forum like this, just private message me. Thank you for any help
AnyOldName3

Re: I need help getting game files on Mac

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I take it you've seen this: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master ... html#macos

If you've done exactly what it says, you should have the Morrowind game files on your machine. To check that, the easiest thing to do is copy and paste the following command into a terminal, and then send us the output:

Code: Select all

ls "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/The Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind/Data Files/"
I take it you've also managed to download and install an OpenMW DMG file from our downloads page (if not, the link is at the top of this page).

Once the DMG is installed, you can run the OpenMW Wizard somehow (I'm not good with Macs, but I think it might show up under Applications), and if you tell it to use an existing installation, you should be able to point it at Morrowind.esm in the path shown above.
Musa

Post by Musa »

well i'll be damned... it's there, you have no idea how happy (and even proud) i am of this lol
Musa

Post by Musa »

For those curious in the future, maybe you are making the same mistake I was. You have to put the file inside the steamapps folder. Its really confusing to find it, but if you just search it up the mac can take you straight there!
ChocoTaco88

Post by ChocoTaco88 »

Musa wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 01:25 For those curious in the future, maybe you are making the same mistake I was. You have to put the file inside the steamapps folder. Its really confusing to find it, but if you just search it up the mac can take you straight there!
Hey Musa, I'm experiencing some of the same frustration you described at the beginning of your post, only I'm still in the process of backtracking my OS to Mojave so I can get to a stage where I'm at the very least able to download/work with Steam. I'm wondering if you would have the time/ability to share your steps for playing Morrowind on a Mac starting with purchasing the game files from Steam? I'm quarantined and looking to put this late 2013 iMac to some use!