OpenMW and Texture Mods

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Velohexum

OpenMW and Texture Mods

Post by Velohexum »

Hello,

From what I've read about using texture mods with OpenMW, if it's just a folder with a bunch of .dds files or similar, all you have to do in openmw.cfg is specify the path to that folder, which is what I have in that .cfg:

data="D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Tamriel Data"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Tamriel Rebuilt"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\TRMusic"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\UMOPP"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Morrowind Optimization Patch"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Normal Maps"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Morrowind Enhanced Textures\textures"

I have Tamriel Rebuilt and a few other mods going. I believe OpenMW is reading those, since it sees Tamriel_Data.esm and the UMOPP esps in the Launcher's Data Files, and the map in game is showing the expanded content. OpenMW seems to be reading UMOPP as well. For some reason, OpenMW can't seem to read the MET files, and probably stuff from the Normal Maps too.

For further reference, my Morrowind is a Steam purchase, in this directory: D:\Games\Steam

I basically followed this guy: https://youtu.be/RRVDc1PLC4c
and read posts on other forums as well. Sorry if I'm missing something crucial.

Thanks,
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW and Texture Mods

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Code: Select all

data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Morrowind Enhanced Textures\textures"
should probably be

data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Morrowind Enhanced Textures"
Velohexum

Post by Velohexum »

Unfortunately, that didn't work.

I've been trying Mod organizer 2, from reading this viewtopic.php?t=5831
but it's been a while since I've modded anything, so it'll probably take me a while to figure out how to use it.

Tried this mod, but it didn't seem to bring anything over from my openmw, at least nothing popped up besides the confirmation boxes to indicate my mods came over: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45642
Velohexum

Post by Velohexum »

Don't think my last post went up. Anyway, this didn't work.

Before this, I had also placed the textures folder for MET directly in the Morrowind Data Files folder, but that didn't do anything, which makes sense according to what I've read about OpenMW.

I've also been following this viewtopic.php?t=5831
haven't had much luck with Mod Organizer 2 yet.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Velohexum wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 00:55 Unfortunately, that didn't work.

I've been trying Mod organizer 2, from reading this viewtopic.php?t=5831
but it's been a while since I've modded anything, so it'll probably take me a while to figure out how to use it.

Tried this mod, but it didn't seem to bring anything over from my openmw, at least nothing popped up besides the confirmation boxes to indicate my mods came over: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45642
That plugin takes mods installed in MO2 and makes it so OpenMW can see them. It doesn't work in reverse.

What's actually in the textures folder that you're specifying with data=?
Velohexum

Post by Velohexum »

So, after putting that textures folder into the Morrowind Data Files folder, and setting data= to there, I got it to work. From my understanding, I thought I could put everything outside of Morrowind's Data Files folder into wherever I wanted it to install mods and textures, etc. I guess not. I'll have to do this for the normal maps too.

Is the morrowind.ini pulling stuff out of Data Files that would include the new textures location, whereas before it didn't see any new textures?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As far as OpenMW's concerned, the Morrowind Data Files folder is just the same as any other folder with a data= line pointing at it. Putting the textures folder in it should work exactly the same as pointing a data= line at the previous folder that contained it, and as the textures folder itself isn't a valid data directory, pointing a data= line at shouldn't have made any difference to anything.

If everything's really as you've described, we've got a bug, and it's the kind of bug that lots of people would be reporting, so I'd be surprised if we had a bug like that.
Velohexum

Post by Velohexum »

Sorry, you're right, after moving MET around in either places, and removing it one instance vs keeping it another in openmw.cfg, I'm not seeing a major difference (I don't think it's a sheer lack of shaders, but I could be wrong). I got confused because it seemed like some of the textures were better, like some armor for instance, but after comparing more pictures to MET, I definitely don't have the depth of quality there, and I got the 4k textures. Here is my updated openmw.cfg list:

data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Tamriel Rebuilt"
data="D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\UMOPP"
data="D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files\Morrowind Optimization Patch\00 Core"
data="D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files\Morrowind Optimization Patch\01 Clean Alpha Textures\textures"
data="D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files\Morrowind Optimization Patch\02 Lake Fjalding Anti-Suck"
data="D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files\Morrowind Enhanced Textures"

So, Tamriel Rebuilt is definitely working. I went to Old Ebonheart with no errors. I dropped the textures from the Normal Maps into MET. Normal Maps definitely isn't working. In other words, the first three lines seem to be working, MOP and MET almost surely not. I'll share a couple of photos. The first one is using the MET and Normal Maps textures, whereas the second one isn't. I don't think there's a difference, and the only thing that seems different than before not having either of those mods is some of the armor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JWG-9y ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WFtAZ3 ... sp=sharing
Velohexum

Post by Velohexum »

I also forgot to mention that I had to copy the esps and esms out of the 00 Core, 01 Faction Integration, etc. and put them into the "Tamriel Rebuilt Folder", D:\Games\OpenMW 0.45.0\Data Files\Tamriel Rebuilt, in order to get Tamriel Rebuilt to work. OpenMW could not read them if I kept them contained in 00 Core, 01 Faction Integration, and so on. That was why I had "Morrowind Enhanced Textures\textures" before, thinking OpenMW could only read the last directory included.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Maybe something's going wrong because you have data folders within other data folders. E.g. you've got

and

data="D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files\Morrowind Optimization Patch\00 Core"
That seems like asking for trouble.

Also, for future reference, data directories should contain some combination of the following:
  • ESPs and ESMs.
  • BSAs
  • Asset directories, like textures or meshes, which then contain that type of asset within them.
If these things are in subdirectories, you need to specify those subdirectories instead. If you have loose assets, you need more directory structure above them.