[Solved] Pink textures for faces, trees and more

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Nausicaa

[Solved] Pink textures for faces, trees and more

Post by Nausicaa »

I have, for some time, had an issue wherein the textures for pillows and chair cushions would only load in as pink 'missing textures'. Seeing as these are both everywhere, this got annoying, so I tried installing the Enhanced Textures mod. I tried a few approaches - using Mod Organiser to install and enable it, simply overwriting my vanilla textures (as it has no .esp) and every variation I could think of. Whatever I did, I ended up with the same problem - all my faces, along with a particular tree texture (which is everywhere) are missing.

At this point, I figured I'd cut my losses and verify my game files, then I reinstalled MW. I also deleted OpenMW and reinstalled it, after deleting the document files associated with it, just in case, removing my saves etc so that OpenMW wouldn't use them and so on. This all had absolutely no effect.

I recognise that I have no idea what I'm doing and have made a total mess of something somewhere along the line, but can anyone give any advice? If there are any config or settings files that might help you, I'll upload those. I probably had a mod that replaced faces previously, but I don't understand why OpenMW isn't just using the vanilla stuff. I did try going into my cfg and making sure all the listed mods lined up with those listed, but no face mods were included in the list, and it didn't help. The issue carries over into new games.

Thanks in advance!
Capostrophic

Re: Pink textures for faces, trees and more

Post by Capostrophic »

The mesh replacers you're using need textures you don't have. Reinstall them, or, to get a completely vanilla installation, get rid of Meshes and Textures folders (the BSA archives already include the vanilla assets). Then reinstall whatever you wanted to install.

OpenMW can't use the vanilla face and tree textures. The replaced meshes don't point to them and would have become broken if they pointed to them.
Nausicaa

Re: Pink textures for faces, trees and more

Post by Nausicaa »

Thanks Capostraphic! It's working now. I hadn't expected that it would be a mesh, rather than texture issue, and expected that either the reinstall or verification would get rid of anything like that. Cheers!