Horrible performance with Distant Land and Higher Than Natural Draw Distance

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
thephantomfiddler

Re: Horrible performance with Distant Land and Higher Than Natural Draw Distance

Post by thephantomfiddler »

On android, having distant terrain on with a viewing distance multiplier of 5 crashes next to Balmora.
ValkyrWarrior

Re: Horrible performance with Distant Land and Higher Than Natural Draw Distance

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

Capostrophic wrote: 12 May 2019, 23:10 That wouldn't be 44 days. That would be 186 days. 0.45.0 wasn't "finished" the day it was released.
I'd hope by now that I illustrated the fact that I'm an idiot! Thanks for the clarification; I was just going by the release of the stable version.

I guess that would put the nightly at Feb 8th of this year if I understood you correctly and did the math right, God help me.
ValkyrWarrior

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

Double post: sorry if this is against forum rules.

I may have found out where the issue stems: VSync. I can't believe I thought about it sooner, but disabling VSync fixed the issue entirely. Might be worth investigating; I'll consider submitting an official bug report in the next few hours.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

ValkyrWarrior wrote: 13 May 2019, 04:03 I may have found out where the issue stems: VSync. I can't believe I thought about it sooner, but disabling VSync fixed the issue entirely. Might be worth investigating; I'll consider submitting an official bug report in the next few hours.
May be related to this bug. Usually happens on Intel videocards, but it is a quite old bug.
ValkyrWarrior

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

akortunov wrote: 13 May 2019, 04:47
ValkyrWarrior wrote: 13 May 2019, 04:03 I may have found out where the issue stems: VSync. I can't believe I thought about it sooner, but disabling VSync fixed the issue entirely. Might be worth investigating; I'll consider submitting an official bug report in the next few hours.
May be related to this bug. Usually happens on Intel videocards, but it is a quite old bug.
That's almost exactly what the graphical glitches looked like. Not exactly, but the concept is there; black and white terrain aberrations.

As already stated, my graphics card is an AMD card: HD6670, dated around Q2/Q3 2011.

The version I was using was when I fixed the issue was the nightly I've been using before, dated 5/11.
raevol

Post by raevol »

ValkyrWarrior wrote: 13 May 2019, 04:55 my graphics card is an AMD card: HD6670, dated around Q2/Q3 2011.
Old AMD drivers are notoriously bad. Hard to say what you are running since Windows did it for you. And even if it's an updated driver, it might be selecting a legacy code path to support an older card.

Sorry, I know this isn't very helpful, but ... yea. You might try a different graphics card if you can. I may be wrong though, so don't throw money away based on my word.
ValkyrWarrior

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

raevol wrote: 13 May 2019, 06:03
ValkyrWarrior wrote: 13 May 2019, 04:55 my graphics card is an AMD card: HD6670, dated around Q2/Q3 2011.
Old AMD drivers are notoriously bad. Hard to say what you are running since Windows did it for you. And even if it's an updated driver, it might be selecting a legacy code path to support an older card.

Sorry, I know this isn't very helpful, but ... yea. You might try a different graphics card if you can. I may be wrong though, so don't throw money away based on my word.
I'm ordering an APU this month; the integrated graphics card in it is leagues better than what I have now and it's super affordable for me. I can't really afford expensive GPUs.

Don't worry. You and everyone in this thread helped a hell of a lot; and that's an understatement. I can live without VSync for a while; I just hope you guys are able to tackle this bug in the future! Great job so far, OpenMW really is amazing.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I can't remember if Ryzen 3000 APUs are supposed to be coming with the first wave of Ryzen 3000 CPUs, but if so, it might well be worth waiting a little while for a fairly hefty performance bump. In your position, I'd definitely look into when they're supposed to launch before making a purchase.