Ogre crash introduced with rendering fix

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Zini

Re: Ogre crash introduced with rendering fix

Post by Zini »

Just to make sure, you aren't using any non-standard NIF files or textures, right? This is the vanilla MW stuff? (because if it isn't that would explain, why nobody else gets the crash).
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Zini wrote:Just to make sure, you aren't using any non-standard NIF files or textures, right? This is the vanilla MW stuff? (because if it isn't that would explain, why nobody else gets the crash).
The folder I was using was a clean install of Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon and the CS that I use in case I mess up my main installation, still I wasn't absolutely certain that it was clean, so I installed plain vanilla Morrowind with Wine, and tried its folder. Still the same result...
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

I get the exact same issue on my netbook.
Given that it's a fully fresh install, I smell an Ubuntu library issue.
I have whatever's default for Ubuntu 11.10 except for Bullet and Ogre.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I think there are other people who run OpenMW with Ubuntu 11.10. without problems. Sorry, still absolutely no idea why this is happening to you and to no one else.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I use default 11.10, including bullet and ogre.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Getting this thread up to speed:
werdanith wrote: I have made a thread on this crash.
It's some issue caused by building static geometry and I get it on both my Ubuntu 11.10 desktop (radeon/intel) and netbook (intel). I was thinking it was some Ubuntu specific issue but BrotherBrick with 11.10 and default packages doesn't get it. In my attempts to narrow it down I tried different bullet versions, different Ogre versions (1.7.1 - 1.8.0), different game data file folders but it always showed up. I suspected maybe it is Mesa related since both machines use the open source drivers, but using the Xorg Edgers ppa to upgrade to Mesa from 7.11 to 8.0 also did not help. About the only things that seem remotely relevant that I did not try were different gcc, libc or kernel, but I gave up on it.
If you want a work around at the moment the only solution is to get the source of the game and compile with static geometry off.
rapiertg wrote:
werdanith wrote: Would you mind telling me, what your graphic card is, which grapics drivers you are using, closed/open, and also what cpu architecture you are running this on? 32/64bit
Sure.
Desktop, Radeon hd3650 driven by open source drivers from xorg edgers ppa, 32bit system. Crashed three times while i was testing package ( which took about 30 minutes). Seems to occur only when changing cells.
Okay, what we have in common as opposed to BrotherBrick is that we both use the open source Radeon drivers and we both running on 32 bit architecture. We'll need more data though.
What you could do is try to use the fglrx driver and see if it makes a difference. I would but my graphics card is not supported anymore.
rapiertg

Post by rapiertg »

System configuration that this bug is also found on:
Desktop, Radeon hd3650 driven by open source drivers from xorg edgers ppa, 32bit system. Crashed three times while i was testing package ( which took about 30 minutes). Seems to occur only when changing to some cells.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Radeon Mobility HD 3670 here, but I use the fglrx driver and not the r300g. That could be the cause as well. Can you test with fglrx?
rapiertg

Post by rapiertg »

Not really. In the current config fglrx doesnt work on my system, as i just tried.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Finally some progress with this issue.
The cause of the crash is the libOgreMain.so library file. I know, because I swapped it with the equivalent 10.04 file (both version 1.7.3) and it fixes the issue. And taking into account building the library manually (diffrent versions) does not fix it, and that 64 bit versions also don't get it, this is my diagnosis:

When you build Ogre, doesn't matter which version, on an Ubuntu 32bit 11.10 machine with default libraries, you get a crappy libOgreMain.so.
That's why, all the version I tried, the standard repos, the PPA and the locally build version all get it, they were all built with the same set up. This is a rather grim result since it means all 32 bit latest Ubuntu's will get it.

Possible workaround, take K1ll's tar 32 bit version that contains the library from the 10.04 repository and swap it with your local one and it fixes it.

Edit: Actually this solution has an issue, since if you build the game with the swapped library you'll get a segmentation fault (this might be related to the fact that I swapped it with a 1.7.4 version though) The safest bet is to build with your default one and swap it later.