Screen Resolution

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
werdanith

Re: Screen Resolution

Post by werdanith »

Zini wrote:Nope. We are reusing some of the MW models. Morrowind.esm is not required, but a bunch of textures and meshes and even a few sound effects.
And I'm guessing that for most of them if not all of them there is already a replacement mod, so in theory you could make a bundle of replacements of the original assets like Morrowind Overhaul, then add on top a total conversion mod, plus OpenMW and play the TC without Morrowind.
With a placeholder esm and some clean up, you could probably get Tamriel Rebuilt running like this.

Is there any fault in my reasoning?
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

it is exactly what they did in morroblivion, so I guess you are right.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

ezzetabi wrote:it is exactly what they did in morroblivion, so I guess you are right.
Well not exactly, Morroblivion cut out a huge chunk of Morrowind, converted it Oblivion format and ran it on top of Oblivion, essentially converting it into a mod.

We on the other hand have no foundation, and certain parts of Morrowind esm and bsa will have to be replicated in order to be used as a starting point.
That's what pvdk tried to do with his Demo Cell and hasn't succeeded.
Plus, projects like TR assume the existence of the original races and I don't even know where that information is stored.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

As far as I understood Morroblivion contains no Morrowind content. Originally it did, but Bethesda shut it down for that reason.

The races are in the morrowind.esm if I recall correctly.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

ezzetabi wrote:As far as I understood Morroblivion contains no Morrowind content. Originally it did, but Bethesda shut it down for that reason.
Actually in its current form Morroblivion is an outright copyright violation since they ship all the converted assets of the original game. Ironically the original Morroblivion contained exactly 0 assets, but my understanding is that Bethesda could not be seen condoning the use of their Morrowind assets in different games, (especially their own) since it would be a breach of the contract they had with whoever licensed these assets to them.
Zini

Post by Zini »

And I'm guessing that for most of them if not all of them there is already a replacement mod, so in theory you could make a bundle of replacements of the original assets like Morrowind Overhaul, then add on top a total conversion mod, plus OpenMW and play the TC without Morrowind.
With a placeholder esm and some clean up, you could probably get Tamriel Rebuilt running like this.

Is there any fault in my reasoning?
I guess we could find replacements for the textures. Meshes are a different topic. I doubt that we could find any drop-in replacements. That would mean either our worldbuilders would have to rebuild the affected areas with replacement models or our 3D artists would have to recreated drop-in replacement models. Both these options I don't see happening. At least not before the 1.0 release of Redemption. We are already struggling with the size and complexity of the world we have created. That last thing we need right now is more work.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Zini wrote:I guess we could find replacements for the textures. Meshes are a different topic. I doubt that we could find any drop-in replacements. That would mean either our worldbuilders would have to rebuild the affected areas with replacement models or our 3D artists would have to recreated drop-in replacement models. Both these options I don't see happening. At least not before the 1.0 release of Redemption. We are already struggling with the size and complexity of the world we have created. That last thing we need right now is more work.
From what I've seen there are plenty of mesh replacements floating around. Still, I don't know what percentage of the original ones you could cover, but I'm guessing more than half.

And about the total conversion's team effort, ideally it shouldn't be their problem. There could be an independent "Morrowind Content Replacement Bundle" that would gather up all the necessary replacement assets made by the modding community, and could be used as a foundation for any total conversion.

Still, this whole discussion is moot without an engine replacement.