Not getting game files on macbook air steam

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Hexcit

Not getting game files on macbook air steam

Post by Hexcit »

Following the instructions here:https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ions#macOS

Followed them all perfectly, put the code in the text file in steamapps, made it simple text, and opened steam but it wouldnt download. I am doing everything exactly as the wiki says. I did not create the file in steamapps though as you cannot navigate to application support on macbook air so i made it in my desktop and dragged it to steam apps, doubt that makes a difference though.
Naugrim

Re: Not getting game files on macbook air steam

Post by Naugrim »

Can you double check the file? Make sure quotes are not "smart quotes".

In fact you can navigate to `Application Support` in 2 ways:
* Open Finder and open the `Go` menu while pressing `alt` -> `Library` option will appear.
* Open a terminal and type `open /Users/$USER/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps`
Hexcit

Post by Hexcit »

I meant I was not able to navigate to application support in the save menu of TextEdit, which does not give me any of those options. Also, the quotes are not smart quotes the code is:
"AppState"
{
"AppID" "22320"
"Universe" "1"
"installdir" "The Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind"
"StateFlags" "1026"
}
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I suspect that the file may be named "appmanifest_22320.acf.txt". Finder often hides the extension of files, so it might not be immediatly obvious

In the Finder, select it and then choose File → Get Info. Scroll down to the "Name & Extension" section and confirm that it is called "appmanifest_22320.acf". If it has ".txt" at the end, then remove it.
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

Hi Hexcit. Have you come right with this? Does your Steam client not show the game as downloading?

You could also use SteamCMD as a relatively easy option to download Windows games on macOS or Linux. SteamCMD is made by Valve, meant more for people setting up servers for games. Detailed instructions to use it are here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD. I've never used this on macOS, but it has worked for me on Linux. Here are some modified instructions from the link:

Open the Terminal app and in it create a directory you want to download SteamCMD to:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/SteamCMD && cd ~/SteamCMD
Download and extract SteamCMD:

curl -sqL "https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_osx.tar.gz" | tar zxvf
Download Morrowind:

./steamcmd.sh @sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login <username> <password> +force_install_dir ../Morrowind +app_update 22320 validate +quit
Replace <username> and <password> with your Steam login details.

Once this has finished downloading, you can point OpenMW to the Morrowind directory. You can also remove the SteamCMD directory from your home directory.

I hope this helps. I have not tested this fully yet.

edit: First post, after registering 4 years ago. Hi Guys, I've been a bit of a lurker. Thanks so much for all the hard work you've all put into the engine, I really enjoy playing it.
Hexcit

Post by Hexcit »

Jodiwe wrote: 30 May 2018, 16:35 Hi Hexcit. Have you come right with this? Does your Steam client not show the game as downloading?

You could also use SteamCMD as a relatively easy option to download Windows games on macOS or Linux. SteamCMD is made by Valve, meant more for people setting up servers for games. Detailed instructions to use it are here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD. I've never used this on macOS, but it has worked for me on Linux. Here are some modified instructions from the link:

Open the Terminal app and in it create a directory you want to download SteamCMD to:

mkdir ~/SteamCMD && cd ~/SteamCMD
Download and extract SteamCMD:

curl -sqL "https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_osx.tar.gz" | tar zxvf
Download Morrowind:

./steamcmd.sh @sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login <username> <password> +force_install_dir ../Morrowind +app_update 22320 validate +quit
Replace <username> and <password> with your Steam login details.

Once this has finished downloading, you can point OpenMW to the Morrowind directory. You can also remove the SteamCMD directory from your home directory.

I hope this helps. I have not tested this fully yet.

edit: First post, after registering 4 years ago. Hi Guys, I've been a bit of a lurker. Thanks so much for all the hard work you've all put into the engine, I really enjoy playing it.

Hey I got it working using SteamCMD, thanks a lot man. Appreciate it!
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

Hexcit wrote: 31 May 2018, 05:00 Hey I got it working using SteamCMD, thanks a lot man. Appreciate it!
I'm glad that worked! Could you do us a favour and attach (upload to Dropbox or such) the appmanifest_22320.acf file you created? This would let someone who has a Mac investigate further.
duffybeer

Post by duffybeer »

Thunderforge wrote: 30 May 2018, 14:32 I suspect that the file may be named "appmanifest_22320.acf.txt". Finder often hides the extension of files, so it might not be immediatly obvious

In the Finder, select it and then choose File → Get Info. Scroll down to the "Name & Extension" section and confirm that it is called "appmanifest_22320.acf". If it has ".txt" at the end, then remove it.
Dude, I've been trouble shooting MW not downloading from Steam for a couple hours now, you're the first person to mention that you have to go to "Get Info" to check if the file is .txt or .acf and after deleting .txt I finally got MW to download. Thank you! I wish the guide made this more clear.