Where is OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS located?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ScrapCrap

Where is OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS located?

Post by ScrapCrap »

title
magamo

Re: Where is OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS located?

Post by magamo »

It is an environment variable, meaning it is set in your command shell before running the game.
`OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS=60.0 openmw-launcher` would launch the launcher with the default setting under the bash shell.
ScrapCrap

Post by ScrapCrap »

I don't really understand, can you show me using images or step by step?
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

ScrapCrap wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 03:47 I don't really understand, can you show me using images or step by step?
Just google "setting environment variables in [insert your OS name here]".
Also OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS is for testers and developers, not for gamers.
If you do not know how to use it, probably you do not need it.

A quote from OpenMW manual:
"There are several environment variables that can be used to change the way OpenMW behaves, for debugging or to test experimental functionality. These variables are not officially supported and not intended for end users. Use at your own risk!"
imec

Post by imec »

If you're on Windows 10:

Right-click "This Computer" -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables -> Click "New" under "User variables for USERNAME" -> Enter "OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS" for your variable name and then enter the desired FPS for your value.

There are screenshots here that can help you out if you have trouble navigating the menus:
https://superuser.com/questions/949560/ ... windows-10
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

akortunov wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 11:01 Also OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS is for testers and developers, not for gamers.
If you do not know how to use it, probably you do not need it.
The physics thread is one of the main bottlenecks in OpenMW, and setting OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPS to 40 or 30 provides a quick and somewhat effective solution to it, with side effects that are not very visible or important to most people who have changed it and reported back.