libaudiere-dev not in debian anymore

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
shirish

libaudiere-dev not in debian anymore

Post by shirish »

Hi all,
Just was trying to see what are the dependencies for running and compiling openmw are. One of the dependencies is told to be libaudiere-dev . A little checking showed that the release of the library was done in 2008 or thereabouts.

Its also not in Debian anymore, atleast now in the architectures that I like and have, x86 and x86_64.

I also put up a thread in debian forums in the hopes that maybe somebody knows something that I don't .

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72646

As can be seen the response is not encouraging to say the least.

Maybe one more thing that needs to be compiled perhaps :(
Zini

Re: libaudiere-dev not in debian anymore

Post by Zini »

If Debian is dropping it, Ubuntu will probably do the same. I guess we will have to look into this issue eventually. But right now we definitely don't have the manpower. So self compiling it is indeed.
shirish

Post by shirish »

Zini wrote:If Debian is dropping it, Ubuntu will probably do the same. I guess we will have to look into this issue eventually. But right now we definitely don't have the manpower. So self compiling it is indeed.
Zini, understood, although just so that it doesn't get left by created the bug in your bug-tracker. http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/177 . Didn't know whom to assign or what, hence left that. Also didn't know should it have been a 'support' issue or a 'bug' issue hence used the latter. Please do the changes as it feels right, correct for the things.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Done.

But actually the problem is not as big as I thought. Had to look it up myself first. It seems we implemented three different audio systems (Audiere, FFMpeg and mpg123/sndfile), of which only one should be used at a time. IIRC there were problems with finding something that worked on all platforms equally well, so multiple options had to be offered.

Sorry, that I did not remember at first. This was somewhat before my time (as a project manager). The sound system was implemented while Nico was still running this show.

With correct cmake configuration OpenMW should compile without Audiere. Actually the default configuration doesn't even use Audiere.

Have you actually tried to build OpenMW?

If there are any problems, the cmake variables you need to look for are USE_AUDIERE, USE_FFMPEG and USE_MPG123. Only one of these should be set to ON.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Apologies for my extreme ignorance, this may not even be relevant, but have we considered gstreamer?
Zini

Post by Zini »

The name came up at some point, but I don't think anything was done about it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

raevol wrote:Apologies for my extreme ignorance, this may not even be relevant, but have we considered gstreamer?
GStreamer would work for music and videos, but it doesn't work so well for simply decoding audio. I dare say ffmpeg is probably the best option, as it works better for simple decoding, can handle mp3 and bink video, as well as the various standard wav formats, all in one. It can also handle ogg/flac/h264/webm/etc automatically if people want to eventually make mods without being restricted to the old, tired mp3 format or the esoteric bink video format.

For binary distribution, a custom build can be used that strips out everything but the relevant codecs, so the size shouldn't be an issue either.