"cannot create setting file"

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
gus

Re: "cannot create setting file"

Post by gus »

Well, openMW wants to put everything in MyDocument/myGames/OpenMW.
If I create a directory openmw and add Ogre.cfg in this directory, the first error disappear. (But it seems that Ogre cannot create the directory itself). I have now Ogre.log and MyGUI.log.

But i have another error now: openMw is complaining that MyGame/OpenMW/Music/Explore/ doesn't exist. Isn't it some original Morrowind file?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

gus wrote:Well, openMW wants to put everything in MyDocument/myGames/OpenMW.
If I create a directory openmw and add Ogre.cfg in this directory, the first error disappear. (But it seems that Ogre cannot create the directory itself). I have now Ogre.log and MyGUI.log.
I have installed Win 7 trial on virtual machine and I'm testing openmw on it. I'm observing same behaviour (probably I missed something), also I need to fix some compilation errors ( "__WIN32" -> "_WIN32" in path.hpp) and missing/incorrect includes (shobj.h -> shlobj.h and shlwapi.h) :| . I will try to commit and push fixes for this but I don't know if I make it today, because as I mentioned in this thread I have really busy days and tomorrow I will travel to different city.
gus wrote: But i have another error now: openMw is complaining that MyGame/OpenMW/Music/Explore/ doesn't exist. Isn't it some original Morrowind file?
It's a path inside data folder, by default it's the same path as configuration path, but now I think there should be a path from registry.
Zini

Post by Zini »

It's a path inside data folder, by default it's the same path as configuration path, but now I think there should be a path from registry.
Actually, that is Music/Explore/ in one of the locations pointed to by the data path. The registry is relevant here only in so far that we are planning to provide some default data paths based on registry settings.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That reminds me; IIRC multiple data paths are not supported yet for resources loading (it's on the to do list for 0.12.0). Also, I think we had another sound resources file error report on Windows. Again IIRC sound resources files are handling differently (compared to graphic resources files). There is probably something wrong there (on Windows). Might be worth looking into it.
gus

Post by gus »

Igro: don't, I've already pushed them.

Zini@Igro: so there is a wrong data path right? (as morrowind is installed somewhere else) How can i change it?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Change the data entry in openmw.cfg accordingly? (and make sure there is only one data entry for now)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Or maybe not. If you are getting a message about missing sound files, then the ESM has been found (it is also on the data path). Unless you have split your Morrowind data directory into two locations the only thing I can think of is that you may have indeed more than one data path (ESMs are found, even in this case; it's the resources part that isn't fully implemented yet).
gus

Post by gus »

Yup the ESM is found.
I can think of is that you may have indeed more than one data path
How can I have more than one data path?
Zini

Post by Zini »

More than one data= entry in an openmw.cfg file (or multiple switches in the command line). Or one data= entry and one data-local= entry.
gus

Post by gus »

Thanks! I had commented a few line on main.cpp and i had forgotten to put them back :oops: but your post just reminded me of them!

BTW, I think we should add in the readme where these files are located, so one can delete them, and the launcher should be able to create the /openMW directory.