Vertical Refreshment Rate Stutter

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
TheMechanist

Vertical Refreshment Rate Stutter

Post by TheMechanist »

Hello,

currently I'm using a Powercolor RX480 Red Devil GPU on Windows 10 with current drivers.
EDIT: Using 0.41 Windows Stable release
When rendering the menu without V-Sync a terrible coil whining can be heard. Using V-Sync solves this problem.
However in certain places (I could add a save) this results in a stuttering mouse movement. Disabling V-Sync again removes this problem.
Ist is hard to explain. I will try to record a video file of the problem.
Can somebody reproduces this.
The problem is visible e.g. in front of Caius Cosades house when looking in direction of the mountainside.

EDIT: Further testing shows that the stuttering seems to happen when looking into the sun
AnyOldName3

Re: Vertical Refreshment Rate Stutter

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The coil whine is probably because your GPU's putting out hundreds of frames per second and doesn't like doing so (it's a fairly common problem with less intensive graphics software). The stutter is likely because V-Sync forces you to run at a framerate that is a factor of your monitor's refresh rate, so on a 60 Hz screen, you'll drop to 30, or maybe 20 FPS for a moment whenever a frame is late. If it happens that certain situations cause a performance drop, that's how they'll manifest.

Of course, it's always possible that something odd is going on to cause the performance drop in the first place...
scrawl

Re: Vertical Refreshment Rate Stutter

Post by scrawl »

https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3052

Known and resolved, but still happens with the windows builds because they're built against the wrong version of OSG.