Can't Load Save Games

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
LoopZoop

Re: Can't Load Save Games

Post by LoopZoop »

Naugrim wrote:Apologies, we are digressing from the topic and I feel it is my fault ^^'
Haha, no problem. Hey, you aren't the same FROST Naugrim are you?

Anyways, ok, I'll do that and see what happens.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

If you guys would like a simple hashcheck, that is certainly do-able. Either at the end of the file or in savegame.sha1 (or md5). This can be used to validate the file's integrity.
LoopZoop

Post by LoopZoop »

psi29a wrote:If you guys would like a simple hashcheck, that is certainly do-able. Either at the end of the file or in savegame.sha1 (or md5). This can be used to validate the file's integrity.
So I ran both /verify and /scannow and both! came back error-less.

What now I guess?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

All sfc tells you is that your operating system is intact. I think the command he was thinking of is chkdsk. However, that still doesn't actually check if the contents of files is bad. If it comes back with a lot of errors, then it means your drive is definitely dead, but it coming back fine isn't evidence of health - I once helped fix a friend's machine when the drive was making scraping and rattling noises as it ran, yet the filesystem was still intact.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

What happens if you simply delete the nulls? I've attached a modified savegame (I can't test as I don't have a recent version of OpenMW) Note you have to expand using 7zip first
Attachments
Garus_6x.7z
(3.63 MiB) Downloaded 182 times
LoopZoop

Post by LoopZoop »

AnyOldName3 wrote:All sfc tells you is that your operating system is intact. I think the command he was thinking of is chkdsk. However, that still doesn't actually check if the contents of files is bad. If it comes back with a lot of errors, then it means your drive is definitely dead, but it coming back fine isn't evidence of health - I once helped fix a friend's machine when the drive was making scraping and rattling noises as it ran, yet the filesystem was still intact.
Jeez. I don't think my drive is dead, besides this save error, I haven't had any issues. I'm on a laptop btw. Not sure if there would be a real difference in how a dying HD operates among the PC vs Laptop.
LoopZoop

Post by LoopZoop »

cc9cii wrote:What happens if you simply delete the nulls? I've attached a modified savegame (I can't test as I don't have a recent version of OpenMW) Note you have to expand using 7zip first
Unfortunately that won't work either, however that produces a different error log

Code: Select all

Failed to load saved game: ESM Error: Record size is larger than rest of file
  File: C:\Users\zakk1_000\Documents\My Games\OpenMW/saves\Garus_Mesk\Garus_6.omwsave
  Record: CSTA
  Subrecord: WLVL
  Offset: 0x23f9dfa
Compared to the old one

Code: Select all

Failed to load saved game: ESM Error: Previous record contains unread bytes
  File: C:\Users\zakk1_000\Documents\My Games\OpenMW/saves\Garus_Mesk\Garus_6.omwsave
  Record: 
  Subrecord: I
  Offset: 0x2400007
Quitting peacefully.
Not sure if that is significant in any way.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

AnyOldName3 wrote:All sfc tells you is that your operating system is intact. I think the command he was thinking of is chkdsk. However, that still doesn't actually check if the contents of files is bad. If it comes back with a lot of errors, then it means your drive is definitely dead, but it coming back fine isn't evidence of health - I once helped fix a friend's machine when the drive was making scraping and rattling noises as it ran, yet the filesystem was still intact.
Exactly, i run a google search and assumed that the name had changed in recent versions. Still not 100% reliable, but if it shows a bad sector pointing to the file, at least we get some possible cause for the error.

Btw, haven't been able to test the safe file yet (...late night production issues ><).
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Just tested the original save with v 0.40 and 0.41 and both failed :/
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

That's OK, the save is corrupted. *shrug*