Slowdown with OpenMW

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
culor

Slowdown with OpenMW

Post by culor »

First off, thanks to everyone who's worked on OpenMW. Morrowind is incredibly unstable on my computer, and I'm not sure I'd be able to play it at all without OpenMW.

I am having periodic problems with slowdown. This tends to occur in areas that have a lot of buildings or NPCs. I will note that so far this has only been an issue in the new areas found in Tamriel Rebuilt, but not everyone else has had this problem. Currently, I'm also using the Better Bodies/Faces mods.

Any suggestions on how to improve performance? I've lowered the draw distance and toyed with the resolution, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Thanks!
DestinedToDie

Re: Slowdown with OpenMW

Post by DestinedToDie »

Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696&hilit=sadrith+mora

OpenMW's handling of physics (NPCs colliding into objects) is not as good as Morrowind's. You won't experience much fps drop if you have high fps. But if your fps is low, physics will go higher, making your fps go even lower. Tamriel Rebuilt might have a lot of people in towns colliding with objects.

Could be the reason why you have slowdowns in certain places.

As for solutions to this problem. Better collision meshes, towns designed around NPCs having a "safe" path to walk on. NPC pathgrids. Or just a more powerful PC so your fps never goes too low for the physics fps loop to happen.
culor

Re: Slowdown with OpenMW

Post by culor »

Ah, interesting. The eastern half of Port Telvannis does have a pretty big slave market, which has at least one guard wandering around. Plus there are a number of other complex paths with raised terrain that sometimes act as a barriers to NPCs.

Thanks!