Mac OSX (El Capitan) SteamCMD

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Williamls

Mac OSX (El Capitan) SteamCMD

Post by Williamls »

Hey everybody,

I've gotten to a point in the steamcmd, and can go no further. I have to login to my steam account via the terminal, but when I put in my username, it says incorrect login. I cannot find any information anywhere online about this issue, so I am under the impression that I am the only person ever to have it. I would love to install morrowind and OpenMW on my mac and I have a copy on steam, but unfortunately I am at this road block.

any help is much appreciated.

Side note: my computer skills are probably well below average, the Command Terminal is foreign land to me; I am not sure what it means when I type things in, So I need very specific "Do this, then this" instructions

Thanks!
Naugrim

Re: Mac OSX (El Capitan) SteamCMD

Post by Naugrim »

I am also trying to install in Mac (Capitan) and got stuck a bit further than you.
I got Morrowind downloaded from Steam and I know where the files are (@Williamsls see instructions below), however the OpenMW installation wizard does not recognise the folder as an installation. Can someone provide some info about that?
I suspect that some last step is required to complete the installation, something done on the first run maybe. But Steam recognises it's not Windows and just prevents it from happening.

Another option I am thinking is just copying the folder from a Windows installation.

To get Morrowind download I followed the Manual instructions here: https://github.com/dotfloat/steam-appmanifest/
0. Completely stop the Steam client -> Quit option.
1. Find the App ID: which is 22320 (https://steamdb.info/app/22320/)
2. Locate your SteamApps folder. I assume it's the same as mine:
/Users/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/
Library is hidden, to see it, open a "Finder", then while pressing alt key, select "Go" from the top bar and you'll see that the option "Library" appears.
Or...advanced way...you can open a terminal and make it visible by typing "chflags nohidden Library".
3. In that folder, create a file named "appmanifest_22320.acf"
4. Save the following content in the file"AppState"
{
"AppID" "22320"
"Universe" "1"
"StateFlags" "1026"
}
5. Start the Steam Client and the download should start.
...the rest is what I said before, the game gets installed under the common folder of steam and OpenMW does not recognise it.
corristo

Post by corristo »

however the OpenMW installation wizard does not recognise the folder as an installation.
Have you tried explicitly pointing OpenMW wizard to Morrowind.esm file?
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Thanks, that made the trick.
After that I only had to reorder the Bloodmoon and Tribunal files and everything runs fine.

I'm more than surprised by the result, and specially the small enhancements. I love that the save files are sorted by character. Hell, I always wanted to see that in the other ES games.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

What can we do to make it more clear that we are looking for the morrowind.esm file?

This should be simple stupid enough that people don't come here asking questions. :/
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Glad you ask that :)

Disclaimer: this is based in my experience on Mac, so I'll focus in it.
Also, as a a general comment, it's not only creating a good and easy to follow manual. The installation guide is the first interaction of the users with your amazing work, it's also part of it. And as such, should offer the information but also ensure a good user experience. First impressions matter, a lot.

Now to the point...

To begin with, the Wiki manual (https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... structions) could be improved. Even when all the information is there, it's not clear for non-tech users or just users who avoid reading. Some of the recommendations seem stupid but in my experience writing user manuals...well, never underestimate users or assume they will have all the required knowledge.
Here are the ideas for the manual:
· A Section for Mac should be definitely added. Even it only refers back to the "The (easier) Binary Way" it will make clear what instructions you should follow.
· Add a preamble to the page summarising the steps. Something explaining that OpenMW requires the Morrowind files and that is must installed separately. Use bold to remark the steps.
· About the steam installation, instead of redirecting to Steam-Appmanifest's Python script, redirect to the README. However, instead of redirecting to to other tools, MW can be installed quite easily following the steps I wrote. Offering the links is interesting but maybe offering a manifest file already done and the instructions i wrote would be easier for users not familiar with terminal tools.

Here some ideas for the Wizard. I think it can be greatly improved just changing the text labels:
- In the "Select Installation Method": add a note saying this is the option for Steam.
- In "Select Existing Installation" screen: avoid the use of "Detected" if the application does not use any recognition and you must select a file directly. I understand the meaning, but for a normal user starting the app for the first time it's confusing. If it says "Detected" and nothing appears, they get the idea that something went wrong. For instance, you could use "Current" instead, but other options are possible.
- In the same screen: replace the text on top, by something that describes that you must select the file, the term installation is very generic imho.

Finally, you could add some steps to the installation manual to guide the user through the final configuration. Basically ensure that the manual sees the user to the whole process. The current "Play!" is nice but after the installation, you are faced with the OpenMW client and even when it's easy to find what you need, it's not obvious.
Also, add a "Thanks for trying OpenMW" sentence :)
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I run some tests on Windows and now I understand more.
I saw two things that explain why on Mac/Steam is so different:
· The wizard does "detect" CD installations, but not the Steam one (...yes, I have both).
· On windows the browse options shows a dropdown on on side that says "Morrowind master file (*.esm)", not in Mac however.
Nervnet

Post by Nervnet »

There is an open enhancement bug for this: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3032
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Great.
Silly question? Any chance of moving the wiki contents to GitHub? This will make much easier the collaboration to keep the documentation?
In GitHub you can just upload de documents in Markdown or AsciiDoc (my favourite) and they get renderder online. Also you can later use a renderer integrated with some free CI service (travisCI, etc.) to update a web using https://pages.github.com/ on every PR.
Aezok

Post by Aezok »

More to OP's problem, I had the same one. No combination of username and password wasn't met with "invalid password" (steam guard deactivated, password changed, logged into both client and browser, could login anonymously but not with my account)

Never found a solution. Used Crossover instead to install Steam and the Game and then using Wine Explorer copied and pasted the game files to the folder 'Mac Desktop' that was automatically listed in the tree.

I do have Naugrim's problem now but not sure how to use his solution "re-order tribunal and bloodmoon". My data files were empty and I got an error about bloodmoon after the initial Bethesda screen.

Anybody have details on that solution?