Need major help MAC install troubles.

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
WickerMan

Need major help MAC install troubles.

Post by WickerMan »

Let me start by saying I know nothing about Macs, so please forgive me asking what may be obvious to most. I have had a nightmare of a time using SteamCMD. I finally got SteamCMD running in Terminal and after using these lines: ./steamcmd.sh +login +app_update 22320 +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows it downloaded update. My problem is, I cannot find the file when trying to install OpenMW now.

I have never used Terminal and really don't understand what I am doing. I think it would be really great if someone could post a video showing all the steps to take to download the game from Steam and then how to get it running with OpenMW. Heck, even a detailed write up (one talking to me like I am stupid and assuming I know nothing) would be nice. The things I see in the wiki's installation guide are directed to Linux and PC people more so and searching for videos hasn't yielded any results (all Linux again).

Is there anyone that can help someone who knows NOTHING about Macs? Thank you for your time and help.
Davefilms

Re: Need major help MAC install troubles.

Post by Davefilms »

To get OpenMW to run on a Mac you first need to buy the Morrowind GOTY edition from Amazon. $7.00 USD.
Next download Wineskin and install the latest wine bin. See Wineskin webpage for details or email me. Next download OpenMW. Take the data file from inside your Morrowind app made by wineskin and move it to the OpenMW folder. Next move the Morrowind.ini file to the OpenMW file folder. Open the video folder in the data folder that you moved to OpenMW. Take the video from the Morrowind GOTY CD thats found in the video folder and move the files to the video folder in OpenMW/data/video folder. Now boot up your OpenMW app. follow the onscreen directions.

Email me if you have problems.
K0kt409P

Re: Need major help MAC install troubles.

Post by K0kt409P »

Davefilms wrote:To get OpenMW to run on a Mac you first need to buy the Morrowind GOTY edition from Amazon. $7.00 USD.
Completely false. The Steam version works just fine.

I have never used steamcmd myself, but the documentation mentions a 'force_install_dir' option which is used to determine where the application is downloaded to. It seems like you left that option unset, in which case I would assume Morrowind was downloaded to whichever directory you were in when you invoked steamcmd.