Barter Screen Strangeness

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
DocClox

Barter Screen Strangeness

Post by DocClox »

I was awake early today, so I thought I'd do a bit of OpenMW. I ended up in Balmora grinding alchemy with Nalcarya by making water walking potions.

So she started out charging me 36 drakes for 10 units each of scales and cuttle. After a few transactions her disposition started to improve and the price dropped to 32. When I had money to spare I bribed her a couple of hundred and raised her disposition to 100. That dropped the cost for my 10 units each of scales and cuttle to 24 drakes. I continued grinding.

Eventually I had a decent amount of surplus cash, so I left the shop and headed down to the Council Club to get 10 or so points of training in Mercantile. I did that, got a couple of levels in the process and went back with my mercantile and personality raised

Nalcarya wanted 36 drakes for my ingredients. I'd been expecting that my improved stats might get some modest improvement in the price. Instead she charged me more money. That doesn't seem right.

Her disposition was still at 100, incidentally.

This is with the 0.36 RC2 on Windows. Only mod likely to have a bearing is the Madd Leveler which appeared to be working correctly.
wareya

Re: Barter Screen Strangeness

Post by wareya »

Even in vanilla MW, mercantile is broken and causes a difficulty inversion above a certain level. I know this because MCP has an option to "fix" it.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

I just loaded the same game. Added another 10 points of Mercantile; cost for my ingredients is now 18 drakes. I grind out another level and get another point of personality: asking price is now 20.

Here's another one: I have a potion to sell. Vendor has 500dr and offers 400 for the potion. I hit the max button to see if I can get 500 and the vendor declines. I add a second potion, then decide I'm losing too much money on the deal and remove both potions from the barter screen.

It now shows "Amount Sold: 100"

Vanilla behavior is to reset the price for each item added or removed.
wareya

Post by wareya »

Ahh, good call!
sjek

Post by sjek »

in 36.0 without mods
with testing setted

player -> setalchemy 50
player -> setpersonality 40
player -> setmercantile 25

disposition at 45, bought kwama cuttles and scales (disp. 46) -> potions.
started to sold with disp. 45 -> jumped to 46 -> got out of the menu and repeated some times
30 items each while in dialogue -> disp. 49 -> out and back disp. 45

..... problem seems to be in record keeping. the disposition change is held as long staying in the dialogue menu. as soon left out it's reset back to value calculated from personality and such.

with new one. same stats.
after making some potions with couple sells price went from 21 to 20 and stayed at that.
after bribing with 100 disp. to 71 the price went to 18

got outside and back in price was 16 (disp. 71)
-> council club with mercantile to 33 for lv and resting personality to 44

back at nalcarya disp. was 73 and price 15. may have interacted that got bounty when slept with door open council downstairs and used console to zero.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

I just ran into this one again. Mercantile of 80, Personality of 120, luck of 80 and selling potions valued at 1700 drakes.

I was getting roughly 10% of the price as my offer price. I can supply screenshots if anyone wants them.

I think it might have been the result of something glitching somewhere. Whatever it was, it seems baked into the save, but it hadn't been a big problem up until just recently. (I've been selling a lot of potions).

I'll try and find a recent save that doesn't show the problem.