OpenMW 0.31 on Ubuntu 14.04 / Launcher crashes

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
domsson

OpenMW 0.31 on Ubuntu 14.04 / Launcher crashes

Post by domsson »

Hey there,

I've been trying to get OpenMW running in the past and failed. Now I'm trying again - and am failing again.
I'm with Ubuntu 14.04 and have an original European Morrowind GOTY Edition CD in front of me.

What I did:
  • Added the PPA and installed OpenMW via apt-get
  • Inserted my Morrowind CD
  • Ran the openmw-launcher (or omwlauncher)
  • Clicked the button to browse to the CD
  • Found and selected data1.hdr from within the CD's CSInstall folder
  • Selected the previously created openmw folder from within my home folder as extraction target
What then happens:
  • I see the launcher extracting files for a short time
  • Then it crashes
I ran the launcher via console and get this message when the crash occurs:

Code: Select all

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::filesystem::filesystem_error'
  what():  boost::filesystem::directory_iterator::construct: No such file or directory
Aborted (core dumped)
Now, to work around the problem, I copied the "Data files" folder from the CD to my home directory and tried pointing the launcher to it, but it requires a Morrowind "master file", which I don't seem to have on my CD. I assume it will only be present on the HDD after installing the original Morrowind properly, but that's obviously not an option. Well, it would be, via wine. But to be honest, I'd like to not do that - I've done well without wine so far and I'd prefer finding a solution here that doesn't require it now.

Isn't it possible to copy the "Data files" folder somwhere onto my HDD and point OpenMW to it via a configuration file?

Thanks!
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.31 on Ubuntu 14.04 / Launcher crashes

Post by Zini »

You need the Data files and the file Morrowind.ini from the CS. With these you should be able to complete the setup process.
domsson

Post by domsson »

Well, the launcher isn't happy with just the raw 'Data Files' folder, and I can't find a Morrowind.ini on my CD (you meant CD, not CS, right?). Can I still 'feed' the data files to OpenMW manually, even though the launcher doesn't seem to be able to digest them automatically?

Also, am I right assuming that the 'master file' (which I was told would be the morrowind.esm file) isn't supposed to be on the CD, but is somehow being created when you install the original game?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

The files are packed away inside a big install/setup file on the CD. You'll need to use the unshield program to get the required files out. I documented the process in the Wiki.

The launcher does the same thing, but graphically using libunshield.
domsson

Post by domsson »

psi29a wrote:The files are packed away inside a big install/setup file on the CD. You'll need to use the unshield program to get the required files out. I documented the process in the Wiki.
Thanks for the walk-through on the wiki, I assume you are talking about the "Getting Data Files for Linux Install"?

If so, even with that guide at my disposal, things did not work out as they probably should. First, with the GOTY edition CD, there are three data1.cab files. One is in a folder called CSInstall, the other ones are in the folders BloodMoon and Tribunal. Now, since I always thought BloodMoon and Tribunal were optional add-ons, I chose the data1.cab from CSInstall ("This must be the main one then!"). However, I couldn't find the required Morrowind.esm file within the extracted files, neither could I find the Morrowind.ini file. After copying the video files as stated in the above link, the local "Data_files" folder held those copied files and those only.

Hence, I decided to unpack the data1.cab files from BloodMoon and Tribunal too. A lot of files have been unpacked, a few of them into the Data_files folder. Mainly two sub folders, "Sound" and "Video", as well as Morrowind.bsa and Morrwind.esm (same for BloodMoon and Tribunal). Hooray. But shouldn't there be folders for Meshes and Textures too? Oh well, maybe not.

However, Morrowind.ini is still nowhere to be seen. Is it possible there is no Morrowind.ini on the GOTY edition CD?

In any case, someone was kind enough to send me a copy of his Morrowind.ini so I tried feeding that to the launcher. It appeared as if the launcher was happy; a window to start OpenMW appeared. I chose the "Imported/Content" profile and tried starting the game. Then...
openmw-fatal-error.png
openmw-fatal-error.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Fatal Error. "Invalid permissions for mapped object (signal 11)" (is what it says in the crash.log).

Oh well... maybe I'll just wait until the launcher can fetch the data from the CD without crashing. :|
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

CSInstall is the CS, not Morrowind.

Morrowind is in the data1.cab and data2.cab in the root of the CD. You can tell because data2.cab is 411.4MiB in size, because it houses the morrowind bsa and esm.

Unshielding data1.cab automatically extracts data2.cab as well.

Try it again. There are many people who have done this without problems and many platforms and archs.. :)
domsson

Post by domsson »

Thanks for your support. I have not given up yet. But I did the procedure several times yet, in all kinds of variations.

Here is the bad (or rather: weird) news though: there is no data1.cab or data2.cab on the root of my CD. I swear.
morrowind-goty-cd.png
Like I said, it seems that the main MW files are packed within the BloodMoon data1.cab, as the Morrowind.esm and .bsa appeared after unshielding that file. Those files are 945 kB and 414 MB respectively.

Still, after feeding those files to the launcher, I run into the problem described in the post above. I have a feeling it might have something to do with the fact that I'm using someone else's Morrowind.ini. Then again, I couldn't find any kind of paths or other user/system specific information in it. Mh...
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Weird, the "European Morrowind GOTY Edition CD" is some mutant offspring that we've not yet encountered yet.

Look for cab files that are > 400 MiB in size.

Try unshielding the dataX.cab files from first Tribunal then Bloodmoon. If memory serves, they just shipped the same bsa/esm files but with updated content.

CSInstall is not what you want, that is just Bethesda's tools.
domsson

Post by domsson »

This is what I got: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Game of the Year Edition) [UbiSoft eXclusive]

Anway, the data1.cab in the BloodMoon folder seems to hold the required files. I deleted all files and tried the process again in the order you suggested:

unshield x /media/julien/Morrowind/Tribunal/data1.cab
unshield x /media/julien/Morrowind/BloodMoon/data1.cab
And after that, the Data_files folder looks like this (without manually copying the video files yet):
openmw-data-after-unshield.png
Now, Morrowind.ini is still missing:

find . -iname "*ini"
./_Engine_Engine_Files/corecomp.ini
...and OpenMW still crashes on launch when I feed him someone else's Morrowind.ini.

Also, should I check the "Include selected masters and plugins (creates a new profile)"? Well, I can't get it to run with or without this box checked, so maybe it isn't that important at this point.

I also tried - again - to let the launcher automagically extract the files from the CD, this time feeding the right file to it (BloodMoon/data1.cab instead of CSInstall/data1.cab). What happens is that my CD drive gets into some unlimited stuttering (that stuff really sounds unhealthy) while the launcher shows the message "Installing Uncompressed Data files from CD...". Sounds like Skrillex is trying to mix a new track down there; going like this for about 7 minutes now, I guess I should abort that now in order to save my drive's life.

EDIT: No need to abort, after 2 more minutes this familiar notification appeared.
openwm-launcher-crashes-again.png
Aaaargh! Okay, serious question: If you own a software (and therefore a license to use it), is it legal to again download the same software? If yo know what I mean. Probably not, eh? :\