OpwnMW crashes on Startup on Vanilla install.

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ViroGlacia

OpwnMW crashes on Startup on Vanilla install.

Post by ViroGlacia »

According to the black window which pops up, the crash seems to occur when the engine tries to utilize audio. This may be due to my sound card which is a Xonar Essence STX. Also the error log tells me that it cannot find menu textures after the ESMs are loaded. Any help y'all could give me would be most appreciated.

Here be the error log.
Spoiler: Show
A second window appears that reads as follows: OGRE EXEPTION(6:FileNotFoundExeption): Cannot locate recourse meshes\base_anim.nif in resource group General or any other group. in Resource at ...\...\Source\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)

Edit: It almost seems as if the engine is failing to look into the .bsa files in order to find the menu textures.
Zini

Re: OpwnMW crashes on Startup on Vanilla install.

Post by Zini »

Did you import the Morrowind.ini file? You should have been given an option to do that during your first launcher run.
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

No,I wasn't given that option. Can I do this manually? It did ask me to locate the Morrowind ESM, when I first opened the launcher.
Zini

Post by Zini »

You probably mean the data directory. The launcher does not ask about Morrowind.esm.

It is strange that you didn't get to run the importer. I suggest to delete your launcher.cfg file and run the launcher again.

You could run the import manually instead, but that is a bit more complicated. The tool is called mwiniimport and you need to import the Morrowind.ini file into the user openmw.cfg file.
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

There is no laucher.cfg in the OpenMW folder, unfortunately. When I click the mwiniimport item it opens for a momentet, and then closes itself. I tried reinstalling OpenMW , made sure that there was no laucher.cfg in the installation directory and opened OpenMW. It didn't ask for anything. Perhaps there is information effecting this in my windows registry?

Edit: I suspect this because I was asked for the data directory only after I installed MW into the traditional location under program files, intending to find out if that was somehow the cause.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Right. If there is a detectable installation of MW, the launcher will skip asking for a data directory. But it should still ask about Morrowind.ini importing.

The launcher.cfg file is located in your OpenMW user directory (for the location of that have a look at the first line of the quote in your first posting).

mwiniimport is a command line program. You need to run it from a console with the right parameters. You will have to figure out these yourself. Use the --help option to get additional information.
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

Thank you Zini :D . I will do my best and report later on the outcome.
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

Success! Thank you Mr. Zini.

I report however already a bug or two, though the team is most likely aware of these. First, taking crab meat off a mud crab corpse was considered a crime. Secondly, Slaughterfish were able to traverse land, and third, those slaughterfish were not able to hit my level one mage character, as I suspect they normally should be able to, though maybe that was because they were on land.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

There is a nightly build for windows. Test them for the latest fixes and for the bug reports. Be welcome.
http://ace.haxalot.com/projects/OpenMW/ ... d.php?list
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

I'll try them out.