Reinstalled Win7 64, omw doesn't work. Help plz.

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
RabidSquirrel

Reinstalled Win7 64, omw doesn't work. Help plz.

Post by RabidSquirrel »

I need help. :( I recently reinstalled Windows. I guess that broke something. When I run the launcher it asks me to find my morrowind.esm, asks to import my .ini, then crashes after several seconds. Windows says:

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\WERADA.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2CCC.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2CFC.tmp.mdmp

I read the txt file but it doesn't mean anything to me. If I try to run openmw.exe it tells me I'm missing d3dx9_43.dll. I tried reinstalling dx9 and the redistributable that omw comes with but it didn't help. Any advice?
nopoe

Re: Reinstalled Win7 64, omw doesn't work. Help plz.

Post by nopoe »

You have to install the DirectX SDK. That solved it for me. For some reason the default redist on microsoft's website wasn't enough. I thought I was the only one having that problem though. This should be fixed.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

I should add that this seems to be a problem only on fresh installs of windows. My friends have been able to run it just fine. I think it's because they have played games that have installed the relevant dlls.
RabidSquirrel

Post by RabidSquirrel »

That worked, thanks. I didn't have this problem before but I had played a lot of games before this. I probably got the required files from some other game. I think this problem should be looked into. If you download something like this it should give you all the files you need to make it work.