[Solved] New tester, new problems

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Tinker

[Solved] New tester, new problems

Post by Tinker »

Hi,
I am so glad this project is getting started, I had to give up Morrowind when I went all Linux many years ago, Neverwinter made up for it somewhat but was never as open ended.

I installed openmw, and blew the dust off my Morrowind cd's, while extracting the data I read about collision detection being turned off at start so as soon as the first cell loaded I turned it on, and promptly sank, restarted and moved over something solid before F2/tcl. I noticed that the ground textures were horrible, lots of open meshes and there seemed no way to interact with anything, I also noticed there was no sound, I assume none of this is normal.

I read here that some people are doing all sorts of things as tests that I do not yet know how to do. This could discourage some new players, I see it a as challenge, to help get openmw to a point where the great masses can just play it.

Checking into the sound problem, I looked into settings.cfg and found this

Code: Select all

[Sound]
device = 
footsteps volume = 0.6
master volume = 1.0
music volume = 0.4
sfx volume = 1.0
voice volume = 1.0
I assume the no sound is due to the blank entry for device, should this have been detected on install? What can any one suggest I put there to get the sound back?

Using Arch linux and openmw 0.21
Last edited by Tinker on 11 Mar 2013, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
potatoesmaster

Re: New tester, new problems

Post by potatoesmaster »

Hi Tinker,

I have to say you are not being very nice with OpenMW. :p
I noticed that the ground textures were horrible
Please explain this. Why are they horrible? Maybe it is time for a screenshot.
lots of open meshes
If you are referring to what you see in no-collision mode when you are "outside of the world" (viewing walls from behind or ground from below), there is nothing unexpected. If you are talking about something else, please elaborate. Screenshot or it did not happen! :D
there seemed no way to interact with anything
It is not yet possible to engage a fight with creatures or NPCs. But you can hold a conversation with them, pick objects, trade, equip armor pieces. A part of the scripting commands are implemented, allowing to play the beginning of the main story and some others FedEx type of quests (want to go picking mushrooms around?). It is not complete, but far from nothing IMHO.
I also noticed there was no sound
I am afraid I will be of little help on that. I will do my best, however.
I am using Arch and my Sound/device entry is blank too, but the sound works as expected.
Did you see any related message in the console?
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I am sorry if you think I was not being nice, that was not my intention. I am fully suportive of the project, as I thought I had implied.

The open meshes were as you said, as if in no collision mode, but I had enabled collision mode, if this is not normal I will get a few screenshots. I had assumed there was more implemented than I found in a brief test. I will look further into what is possible before I comment further. I do not expect a complete game at this time, I was just commenting that I could not find anything, and am fully expecting it to be my fault.

Sound though does seem to be a problem with my install, and maybe there is mileage in exploring this. If your setting config is the same as mine on Arch then I have some other problem.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Blank sound device only means that device should be autodetected I think
Tinker

Re: New tester, new problems [solved]

Post by Tinker »

I have solved the problem I had with textures looking wrong, a combination of two errors, one was I turned on collision detection when standing 'outside' the texture. The second mistake I made was that my video card and monitor are so much better than what I had when first playing, I needed to adjust the gamma to get the shading to look right. I can now see there are lighting effects in the start cave with light peaks around the fire lights, though there is no fire yet. Ii assume that particles for fire and water effects are not yet implemented.

As for sound, I assumed there was something specific I must do to get it working. I went over the install instructions and saw nothing but looking on the Dev. install page I saw that /sound /music /splash and /video needed to be in the data folder, having moved these folders to the correct place I have music and sound now. Of course many sounds will not work yet but I will be ready as things come online.

I have updated the wiki to ease the way for future testers.
pvdk

Re: [Solved] New tester, new problems

Post by pvdk »

What page did you update, it's not necessary to copy the music and sounds as they are in the .bsa.
Tinker

Re: [Solved] New tester, new problems

Post by Tinker »

I added some info to https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ux_Install

For me I had to copy the sound and music folders to get sound and music, I got the idea from https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... Setup#Data Which also suggests unshielding more files than the install file did.