console font + cyrillic = rectangles

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
lazydev

console font + cyrillic = rectangles

Post by lazydev »

The current console font is int the files/mygui/VeraMono.ttf. But that font dont have cyrillic symbols, and when i try to type cyrillic in the console i see only rectangles.

What we can to with that problem? Find a font which have lots of different symbols for many languages? Or add an option in config file to specify the font? Or something else?
wheybags

Re: console font + cyrillic = rectangles

Post by wheybags »

Could we maybe use the actual fonts from morrowind, in the Data Files/Fonts directory?
In a localised version, they would presumably be guaranteed to have the localised characters.
lazydev

Post by lazydev »

wheybags wrote:Could we maybe use the actual fonts from morrowind, in the Data Files/Fonts directory?
In a localised version, they would presumably be guaranteed to have the localised characters.
Nice idea, but looks like it is hardly implementable.
After some googling I found that is well known problem.

But I dont understand, what the guys desided to do: leave the custom fonts forever, or just wait the time whn MyGUI will allow to use the original MW fonts?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

That one is easy, just find out the unicode numbers for the cyrillic symbols and add them to the code range in openmw_font.xml. You might want to do the same for EB Garamond, unless it already has those.
lazydev

Post by lazydev »

scrawl wrote:That one is easy, just find out the unicode numbers for the cyrillic symbols and add them to the code range in openmw_font.xml. You might want to do the same for EB Garamond, unless it already has those.
The range is already in the file.

Also, if i just copy-rename EBGaramond-Regular.ttf into VeraMono.ttf then the symbols will be shown correctly.
So I guess the problem is the file VeraMono.ttf.
Last edited by lazydev on 14 Jan 2013, 17:03, edited 2 times in total.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Hm, isn't there a version of VeraMono somewhere that includes these then?
If not, maybe we can find another monospace font.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

lazydev wrote:
wheybags wrote:Could we maybe use the actual fonts from morrowind, in the Data Files/Fonts directory?
Nice idea, but looks like it is hardly implementable.
After some googling I found that is well known problem.

But I dont understand, what the guys desided to do: leave the custom fonts forever, or just wait the time whn MyGUI will allow to use the original MW fonts?
Looking here, there is a pretty good spec for fnt files, so a converter could be written. Are the bitmap fonts in mw low res enough that this would be pointless?
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I'd say go for Dejavu Mono, it is derived from Bitstream Vera and it has support for latin, cyrillic, greek & arabic character sets.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Scratch my original response, that's not actually the right format.
But this is.
lazydev

Post by lazydev »

DejaVuLGCSansMono.ttf works good. Should I add it instead of VeraMono and make a pull request?

And the second question - should OpenMW support the MW native fonts, or the external fontys is enougth? Looks lioke the idea to support the original fonts is not very poipular.