Starting position

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
beerbunny

Starting position

Post by beerbunny »

Excuse my ignorance; I'm not sure if this is the place to post this query, but here goes....

When I start the game (I'm running Ubuntu, btw), my starting place is somewhere under Beshara Cavern. I can get to the outside world by leaving through the cavern exit, but I can't touch the ground, so I can't use a bed (I get the message; You must be on solid ground to rest.)

Is this just because the game's still at an early stage? I thought that was why I couldn't play the game, but now that I've come across the information somewhere that it's now possible to use the beds, I've started to wonder.

Any thoughts or comments, anybody?

Thanks,

John
scrawl

Re: Starting position

Post by scrawl »

F2 -> tcl -> Enter -> be happy!
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Even so you still won't be able to "play" it because there is still much to do, but you can help testing what's already implemented.
beerbunny

Post by beerbunny »

scrawl wrote:F2 -> tcl -> Enter -> be happy!
Excellent, that worked. Many thanks.

HiPhish wrote:Even so you still won't be able to "play" it because there is still much to do, but you can help testing what's already implemented.
No problem, I understood that I wouldn't be able to play the game properly. As for testing what's already implemented, I'd like to help, but I don't have the first clue how to go about it.

Cheers,

John
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

beerbunny wrote:
scrawl wrote:F2 -> tcl -> Enter -> be happy!
Excellent, that worked. Many thanks.

HiPhish wrote:Even so you still won't be able to "play" it because there is still much to do, but you can help testing what's already implemented.
No problem, I understood that I wouldn't be able to play the game properly. As for testing what's already implemented, I'd like to help, but I don't have the first clue how to go about it.

Cheers,

John
Yep, that's the default starting location for OpenMW. I've no idea how it was chosen. You could edit your configuration file to start somewhere else, like Balmora, if you wanted to. Collision is turned off by default. At one point, we didn't have collision, so of course it had to be off. I'm not sure if there's a particular reason it's off by default now. Do we have no way of making sure that the Player's starting position is over solid ground?

Anyway, there are certainly more methodological/efficient approaches to testing (something I'm not really an authority on). But, you could start off just by playing around with the game and looking for fishy behavior. For example, in the last release I noticed that if you sleep or wait until midnight and then look at the time, it would say "0 a.m." when it should obviously be "12 a.m.". I wasn't looking for that, I just noticed it by using the sleep/wait feature a few times.

The most important time for testing is when we have RCs (release candidates) before each release. With those, you'll want to specifically test the features that are new for that release.
raevol

Post by raevol »

WeirdSexy wrote:The most important time for testing is when we have RCs (release candidates) before each release. With those, you'll want to specifically test the features that are new for that release.
:D One cookie for you.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yep, that's the default starting location for OpenMW. I've no idea how it was chosen.
Randomly, I presume. That was before my time.
Collision is turned off by default. At one point, we didn't have collision, so of course it had to be off. I'm not sure if there's a particular reason it's off by default now.
Mostly because nobody got around to turn it on yet. But it is also convenient for testing. I think we will leave it off by default until 1.0.
Do we have no way of making sure that the Player's starting position is over solid ground?
Nope. Not yet. Using teleport doors will always lead to a safe position though.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yep, that's the default starting location for OpenMW. I've no idea how it was chosen.
I believe Beshara was chosen because its name was easy to remember, it was an interior with water, NPCs, fire sources, unlocked/locked/trapped containers, scrolls and a small amount of clutter. Other good things about it are that it is near Vivec, Suran, Ald Sotha and right next to an exterior water source.

Basically, it WAS randomly chosen, but not completely randomly. It has a lot of good qualities that make it a good test cell for a lot of features. Not really sure why a better one hasn't been scouted for yet, though...
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

We should start in dagoth ur! ;-)
gus

Post by gus »

I've never finished morrowind (shame on me!) so please, no spoil^^